1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This seems to be what most of the nmra factory stock guys are using for high RPM. I hate to even ask a price though.
well, the jesel ones are a hundred bucks a piece.

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
While the jesels will never fall off due to their cup-design, they are substantially heavier than stock....unless you can find an older set that were 7000-series billet aluminum...and even then, stock followers have been taken over 9000 RPMs, if not more

GT supercar followers are around $400 a set, less if you can find a used set

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
At 9000+Rs, what do you do about the lash adjusters? Use the solid adjustables like the Jesel page?

I could imagine setting up a dohc engine with solid lifters; it took me ~16 hours to do my GS750 the last time, and that's only half as hard, lol.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
GT followers are the best to get if you have the cash, they also raise the oil pressure in the heads as well since they bleed out 90% less. That is something the cam bores really like.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The GT (hydraulic lifters/lash adjusters) are smaller diameter, and are installed in a different head design! If your looking for the best high-rpm setup call John T. at Modular perf. he might not share his secrets but he could build up your heads for you :)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The GT (hydraulic lifters/lash adjusters) are smaller diameter, and are installed in a different head design! If your looking for the best high-rpm setup call John T. at Modular perf. he might not share his secrets but he could build up your heads for you :)

The intake are a smaller diameter and cannot be swapped to any other head, the exhaust rockers/followers are what we are talking about here. They can be swapped to any modular head, weight 5 grams less each, and increase the oil pressure at the head about 20%. The Exhaust lash adjuster from the GT is not needed we learned, the GT rocker works fine with the stock 2V lash adjuster cutting down the costs bigtime.

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
the GT rocker works fine with the stock 2V lash adjuster cutting down the costs bigtime.
So 8 GT exhaust rockers per head, and it also slightly bumps the pressure to the cams. Cool to know. :)

A related question: How do you keep the 2V lash adjusters from collapsing at high RPMs? I'm thinking my issue was oil pressure, somehow... :) Or was it my 233k mile adjusters?

off topic: how do you guys feel about Cloyes timing chain adjusters/ tensioners? They seem to be the closest to stock I can find; oem is over double the cost. The plastic ones on my 03 engine really su*k.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
off topic: how do you guys feel about Cloyes timing chain adjusters/ tensioners? They seem to be the closest to stock I can find; oem is over double the cost. The plastic ones on my 03 engine really su*k.
since they're cast iron, I'm sure they'd be fine....how much are you finding the cloyes for?

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
Thx, GM! EDIT: missed your question: RockAuto looked like the lowest price.

The Cloyes friction parts look (96) stock, as do the adjusters. I can't put a front cover over the stock '03 ones; they're plastic and cheap looking, and newer cars chew them up and spit them out, from searching about it. And I found no complaints about the old ones, lol. Or the Cloyes.

Best Ford price (I found) for the tensioner alone was >$120. Each.

I need these, and the hold down for the "crack pipe" cooling mod, and I'm GTG with reassembly.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I sell the OEM Ford iron tensioners for $149 a PAIR brand new guys.

I had a couple people call biaching about the aftermarket iron ones having problems, especially whatever TFS is selling (don't know what Cloyes is using) The plastic ones are junk IMHO.

I know of a motor with 160lbs of spring seat pressure spinning to 9500RPM on the stock lash adjusters without problems so any problems you are seeing might be age/crud/etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Best Ford price (I found) for the tensioner alone was >$120. Each.
sounds absurd, but then again, I don't even bother looking up MSRP when there are tons of online vendors offering stuff at cost + 10%

Tousley ford parts is one of my preferred vendors for Ford/OEM motorcraft stuff

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
I know of a motor with 160lbs of spring seat pressure spinning to 9500RPM on the stock lash adjusters without problems so any problems you are seeing might be age/crud/etc.
I vote crud; I wasn't the original owner, and it had been Quaker stated at one time; there was a bunch of crud inside. :)

It still went 233k. If I hadn't done a pi intake mod and added a tune, it would have lasted much longer, lol. :facepalm:

I see some nice parts on your website; I'll be in touch!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts