TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by one of the cars pictured from the latest Cars n Coffee edition. Hope you don't mind me sharing here. Would like to hear some of yours too.

A friend of mine had a '72 Grabber back about 20 years ago. It was Grabber Blue and Gold. He beat the snot right out of that poor thing. (you know how that goes... little car with a 302, auto, etc.) Beat on it bad enough to have to replace U-joints several times in the short period he had it. We'd get 4 of us to lift the back of the car off the ground while he held the pedal right to the boards, wound tight....count to 3 and let go. :eek: Crazy. I loved that car, and always told him that if he ever wanted to sell it or trade it, to make sure I knew first. He'd laugh and always say "Yeah, we'll see..." while slapping the column gearshift down to Low (unnecessarily I might add) and flooring it. In town. :rolleyes:

We would have a lot of (ahem) "unsupervised acceleration contests" outside of the little town we lived at the time. That car usually held its own quite well too. Occasionally cops would show up and everybody would get scarce fast. They'd always pick a Camaro to chase since there was only one squad car anyway and like 10 of us. lol

Larry died from a gunshot wound only a few months later that summer. The details were a little bit of sketchy and a lot of suspicious. Long story short, his gf was with him at the time it happened, but the officer who arrived on the scene had contaminated the scene by picking up the gun with his bare hands. It was a pretty controversial subject around there, and it was really heart-wrenching for everyone who knew him.

Well anyway after he passed, his mom gave the car to a salvage yard. I tried so hard to rescue it anyway, but the yard owner just wouldn't let it go.
I ended up buying just the hood for like $50, thinking someday I'll find a Maverick of my own to put it on. 5 years later, still no Maverick. I ended up being talked into taking the hood to an annual swap meet where I'm happy to say it found a good well-deserved home with a fellow whose eyes absolutely lit up when he saw the hood.
Told how he had been looking around for so long for this hood to complete his Grabber....all the ones he found before were in such sorry shape....this one was as about mint as it would ever get.....

I actually teared up a bit while the guy was gushing over the hood.

So, whenever I see a blue Maverick, especially a Grabber edition.......well, like the song says, it takes me back. Good memories, and painful ones too. I'd still love to have a Grabber of my own though. "Yeah, we'll see."

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Heres a Maverick for your memories.

This is my sleeper car. EFI 5.0 T5 trans and 3.80 TL rear.

·
Administrator
8,011 Posts
I always liked them. Mom and Dad bought a new 73 with a 302 when I first started driving.

Joe

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
My friend in high-school had a 72 grabber as well it was 6 years old when he got it., That Maverick would fly, Had some great times melting the tires off:D Orange with the white strips it was.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Heres a Maverick for your memories. ...

This is my sleeper car. EFI 5.0 T5 trans and 3.80 TL rear.

Cool, Clint!

In my geezer daydreams, My second fav 70's car to restomod. Both would involve wheel arch radiusing.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I had a Maverick that looked EXACTLY like ClintD's. I paid $50 for it and just had to get a battery for it!

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I have weld racing wheels on it now only because my cousin was getting rid of them and I'd hate to see them go.

all the ricers at the track hate this car. The first time I brought it to the track I had full wheel hubcaps and 185/75/14 white wall tires. it ran a 14.34 with a 2.5 60' time melting the tires off of it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Man that brings back memories. My second car was a 1970 maverick yellow, black stripes, and a six banger with three on the tree. Beat it to h*** and back. Simple but fun.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
In my geezer daydreams, My second fav 70's car to restomod. Both would involve wheel arch radiusing.
Or hows about TUBBED?

Love those dog dish hubcaps, Clint. Can't say "sleeper" any better than that. lol

The more I look at it, the more SVT2888's pic looks exactly like the one my friend had. Blue with the gold stripe on the side, black on the hood. Man...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Or hows about TUBBED?
Nah... just a true radius would make a world of difference in the looks. Dont care about sticking slicks on anythng. Would go with Mustang II front susp and Tbird IRS in the back.
The more I look at it, the more SVT2888's pic looks exactly like the one my friend had. Blue with the gold stripe on the side, black on the hood. Man...
There's only a couple Blues I like and GRABBER Blue is the lightest of them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts