TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what I'm about to do is probably sacriledgious..(sp?) but I got a question...I have a built 360(.60 over bore, (I believe 10.5.1 CR)Forged pistions, H beam rods, cam, heads, intake etc...) i was planning on throwing into the ramcharger...but i'm trying to sell it, and I'm thinking about keeping the tbird and turn it into a low budget quarter mile car, a buddy of mine will back half it for free I jsut gotta get him the rear end/4 link setup...I got a motor and a tranny, and I can get a driveshaft made Cheap( same guy above will hook me up) but my only question is...will the actual motor fit? I'm going to assume I'll have to build an oil pan and/or modify the k member(I'll prolly get a tubular unit but has anyone actually went out of the ford engine "selection" in a tbird? (I know how to put it in there...motor mount fab, etc...)
but i'm just courious if anyone has ever did this before?

Yeah...I know i'd rather have an all ford car...but I got the parts, and can build it for next to nothing....so why not

(I still got 3 ford cars...two are deciently "built" so dont start :) )

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't phsically fit in the bay, seeing as how the 4.6L has the exterier dimentions close to a 460. All I see is some modding to the K-member and motor mounts, which you already know. I'd say go for it if you can get this all done as cheap as you say. Would make a good budget racer. Are you going fuel injected or carbed?

Jay

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
There's at least one running around with a small block Chevy so, yeah, I'd say it can be done. The 360 should be a good motor for it too... it would sure pull that old Fury of my mom's along.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Are the distributors on the Mopars in back? I know the Hemi is in front but not familiar on the other motors.

I think that would prob be the biggest issue if the dizzy is in back. I don’t think there is enough room back there near the firewall. But if its going to be a drag car, there looks like a lot of space can be made by modifying the firewall.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
IIRC, the dist. is up front between the PS reservoir and the upper rad hose/thermostat neck.

Jay

·
Registered
414 Posts
Don't do it. It is, as you say, sacraligeous.

Although if you do, this is the engine to do it with. Cube to cube the Mopar 360 is great as hauling around heavy vehicles. It has a 3.58" stroke which likes heavy machines like Tbirds.

I have a 5.9L Magnum in my truck and it's pretty torquey. Eventually I want to swap a bigger camshaft to move the powerband higher which would reflect my intentions better.

All Dodge small blocks have their distributor at the rear.

A lil vid of the Ram.
http://media.putfile.com/Ram-17

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
What does your Dad have Cougarguy?
1983, 2WD, reg. cab, long bed with the 727 and 318 2bbl
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2157295

Right now it's got a leak in the intake somewhere, so we're going to start replacing vacuum lines first (they need it anyway). Most of the stuff under the hood has been there for 24 years now . . . I say it's time to freshen things up a bit. He's mentioned selling it several times, but the response from me is usually "over my dead body you will. How much you want?" :D

(and even though it's got all the pickup of a ford tempo that's down one cylinder, I still love driving the thing!)

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,578 Posts
Id say that if your friend is qualified to back half the car that you could concievably cut out the shock towers and put in a coil over setup in the front or a mustang 2 front end kit. Then you could locate the engine mounting point anywhere you'd like and the distributor and all that wouldnt really be an issue. Definitly there would be more cost. But its a thought. :)

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
please send me the name and number of said Buddy that will back halve the car for free.
I have all my parts, and am ready for a free back halving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.