TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... once in a while they do a good job.

I bought a new (to me, anyway) laptop on ebay last week, and got a pretty good deal I think, except the seller would only ship to my "verified" PayPal shipping address. Which is my parents' address, but whatever, I just had my mom ship it to me. It arrived down there Wednesday morning, and my mom had it to UPS and off to me within a couple of hours. Go Mom! She used a 3rd party UPS outlet and they emailed me a tracking number (they use QuantumView) within a few hours. I'm only about 120 miles away, so ground ship was only going to take overnight.

This morning (that is, Thursday morning) I woke up and decided to see where my box was. Well, the box was on time but I realized my mom had put in the wrong house number (easy to do, I do it all the time.) Worse yet in my mind, the address was a legitimate one and I had visions of some dude with his fingers all over my new PowerBook. So I called UPS and of course got their voice-recognition menu system. Which seems to work really, really well, but I couldn't find anything pertaining to "screwed up address" or "please just let me talk to a real person". I finally settled on "track a package" hoping maybe there would be some more options at the end. There weren't.

So I started swearing. After about the 3rd F-bomb, the menu voice said "I still didn't get that" and offered up the option of speaking with an agent. Sweet. Throwing a tantrum gets me my way yet again.

The phone rings and here's where the story really gets kind of incredible.

*The agent answered the phone in about 5 seconds
*She knew my information already (I assume from the tracking number I'd entered earlier)
*She actually listened to my explanation of the problem and wasn't reading off of a script when she offered a solution
*The solution she offered actually made sense (She'd call the local depot and have them notify the driver of the address change)
*She said someone would call me back to confirm within an hour, and lo-and-behold, someone called back 45 minutes later.
*She was friendly.
*I got an email in about an hour notifying me of the address change
*The package actually got to my house!

Unfortunately I wasn't home when it got here and it had to be signed for in person (my signed note on the door wasn't good enough), so it'll be re-delivered tomorrow. But the point is, with ground shipping, the box actually left my mom's hands less than 24 hours ago with the wrong address, and it still made it to my door on time. AND I didn't have to threaten rip out someone's spleen to make it happen. :D

(Granted, now that I have written this glowing review, I will probably get a tattered, rattling box with tire marks all over it or something...)

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I took the time to read your opening post and I would have to agree that UPS is great indeed. Fed-ex sucks balls hard core.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
OxmanWI said:
I took the time to read your opening post and I would have to agree that UPS is great indeed. Fed-ex sucks balls hard core.
only because your **** has to go through chicago first.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had a similar experience except it didn't turn out as well. I ordered something off of Amazon.com and inadvertently had it shipped to an old address (oops, my bad). When I realized the mistake it was in the "Billing information received, waiting for package to be dropped off" stage.

I called up UPS and went through the menu just like you did and couldn't find anything for address change or "speak to a real person", so I likewise just flew off the handle and somehow that got somebody to come on. I was like... "Ummm... hi?" lol...

Unfortunately they couldn't change the address because they hadn't received the package yet, and when I talked to Amazon.com they said they couldn't change the address because they already shipped off the package. So somebody at my old address ended up getting a free book.

John

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Just for the record speaking gobbledeegook (I never tried cussing :) ) at most any prompt in those systems that are supposed to be voice recognition will get them to dump you to a rep. ;) You may have to mumble at it 3 or 4 times but it'll eventually give up and switch you to a human.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
fed ex does suck , we have lost 2 bumpers from ford in the last 2 weeks becasue of them,

edit , we ship thru dhl at work

·
Registered
142 Posts
I worked for UPS seasonally the past two years, and came away very impressed with their operations. Their information systems are great, and their tracking actually works real time. Everyone I worked with was really professional too. For anyone who deals with USPS, you know how nice it is to have tracking that actually works.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
redneckcougarguy said:
only because your **** has to go through chicago first.
Huh? Can you further explain? Are you saying UPS is bad or good, or your disagreeing with me on my fed-ex comment?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
My brothers business used to use UPS but got sick of tired of trying to get them to pay up insurance claims on all the astronomical equipment the would thrash or loose in the system. When it shows up they're great. Trying to get them to pay up when they fuk up was apparently another thing entirely! They went to FED-EX and where much happier overall with the service they got.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
fedex has damanged everything ive gotten.. I have so many claims with them.. I have a few friends that are drivers for ups and they actually seem to give a **** about the packages

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I usually have good luck with UPS. I did have an issue with them near the holidays. I ordered some tires and never saw them by 8 pm the night they were supposed to be delivered. I checked my tracking number and they said "delivered". I called the 800 number and said what was up because I did not have them. She told me the address they were delivered, the house number was the same but a different street. She verified the ship to address was mine Henson Drive. They were delivered to Federal Lane. I asked her why that was and if they could pick them up and bring them to my house the next day. No can do, I would have to contact Tire Rack and they would have to handle it. I slammed the phone down and went to reverse phone directory.com and got the number where they were delivered. Called them up and explained the situation and went and picked them myself at 9:00 pm. I was going out of town in 2 days and needed the tires on the car. Still can't figure that one out.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
U.p.s.

We've had good luck with U.P.S. here...............I guess it helps that our local U.P.S. driver is someone I've known since gradeschool too.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My experience is mostly opposite others' here - great service from FedEx, and tons of damage from UPS, numerous times...

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
OxmanWI said:
Huh? Can you further explain? Are you saying UPS is bad or good, or your disagreeing with me on my fed-ex comment?
disagreeing with your fedex comment. all of the chicago area terminals suck. I guess it just depends on the area.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
yea ups sucks here

"I delivered your parts to either you or the other guy on the block who orders car parts someone signed for it "

The only thing is I'm white and the other guy is black so there is no mistaking the two of us ??

anyway he told me this after I filed a claim with UPS for a missing package

UPS also NEVER leaves the notices I find them in the street they never take the time to open my screen dor and stick it on the INNER door

I found one stuck to my railing once, and one stuck to my front steps another time

·
Registered
128 Posts
Actually I've never had a problem with UPS. They've just about always delivered my items fast and always in perfect condition. The US mail on the other hand has this tendancy to think magazines are written on steel and can just shove `em in the mailbox and just about every week we get someone else's mail.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've never had a problem with UPS. DHL screwed me over big time however. When I shipped a rear pumpkin via DHL in a box marked "this side up" all over the place (Yes I had drained it, but you know how hard it is to get them totally empty). It was returned to me in a destroyed box that was inside a plastic bag. And when I repackaged it and sent it via DHL again, they charged me again. cost me twice as much to send it as it should have, and it wouldn't have had any problems at all if they had handled it carefully.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts