TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have something for you straight from my Ford Owners manual. I have read and seen this before, and i thought it might help you lose your worries about your coolant level. Here it is....

page 276...."Have your dealer check the engine cooling system for leaks if: 1)you have to add engine coolant more than once a month or 2) you have to add more than a quart (liter) at a time"

This proves what i said earlier about it being normal to have low coolant levels.

Hope this helps
BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hows' that normal?

Dude that doesn't sound normal to me? Adding coolant more than once a month or more than a quart at a time... can you explain? Not trying to be a jerk or anything but you say
This proves what i said earlier about it being normal to have low coolant levels.
Let me know cus I don't add coolant at all and I think that's "normal".

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, This was Quoted....

This was quoted direct from the owners manual on page 276 of my 94 thunderbird manual, which applies to all 94 models , SC's, 3.8 n/a, and 4.6L.

I say it's normal too because, I have seen my coolant go down to the same exact level for the past 2 1/2 years, this happened every month, i add fluid about once a month....and I've had my trustworthy mechanic, including a number of other mechanics check for any type of leak, including Gasket check, and I have checked oil, none of them, including me and my father have ever found any leaks, and I've been exploring this for a long time. Also Countless other people with 3.8L have the same problem and have never found any leaks either.

Only explanation is that this is normal....My car does not get hot even if i leave it at the low level for a long time, I've tried it before. There wa sone time when I kept my eye on the level in the reservoir and i saw it was low ...at the same low level it always drops to. So i left it like that and kept my eye on the temp. The temp never went past the N in Norm. I left it for almost 3 months and the level of the coolant never got any lower than it already was. and this i've tried more than once.

the key is to keep your eye on the coolant in the rad, not the reservoir.
May not make sense, but this is not fact either,
I caution....this applies to me and this is what i do(fill rservoir every month) and my car is ecellent.......You know your car best, so do what you feel is right.
There are a few who agree with me though.

BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
935 Posts
That's interesting

I have a 90 3.8 and I haven't checked my owners manual on that yet but I'm sure they kept it the same over the years. I never pay much attention to my colant resivor but I watch the temp guage like a hawk. My car hardly ever makes it above the M in norm, which almost everyone I've told says they can't believe it. When I got my heads redone they must have done a super job cus I have no problems when it comes to heat and coolant levels.

Thanks for the heads up on the coolant levels. I guess if mine ever appear low I can be assured that I'm fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
One thing I notce about my car, Is that it ussally sit between O-R(unless I'm getting on it) but when I park I can hear that bubbling sounds of coolent in the overflow tanks. I thought it only did that when it was really hot? It only does it for a little bit....maybe 30-45 sec after car is shut off. Anyone else get this?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You want to hear something impressive...

No problem, just don't want you guys to worry and keeping a look out for other T-bird owners.

Mine never went past the O in Norm, and before i changed the rad, it never went past N.

until recently when i was on the highway.

BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think....

I think i've heard that same sound before in my car, yeah it's the coolant and it's normal, however, it's not the coolant going into the overflow tank ( you can't hear the bubbles in the overflow tank even if you popped the hood and put your ear near it). The noise you hear is the coolant moving and bubbling around in other places.

Try popping the hood, and you'll see you can't hear the bubbling in the overflow tank.

Beirutsfinest

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know what you talking about, When I first start my car for the day I an hear coolent flowing around for a 1 or so but I was actually talking about in the overflow tank. It seems like it's bubbling (if that makes sence) some days after I drive it. I was pretty sure it was from the overflow tank, but I guess I didn't really investigate that much. I just assumed it because it seemed to be coming from that area and I know hot car will do that. I just thought O-R area woulndn't make it do it. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I know what you mean...

yeah, not to worry it is supposed to bubble, that is absolutely normal, my car does it.

Start your car up after it has been sitting overnight, and wait till it warms up, after a while you will see bubbling in the overflow tank, because coolant is being returned to the tank.
sorry about the mistake
BeirutsFinest

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
So do you have any idea of where it's going?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly no...

All i know is that it's normal to have to add coolant every month
as long as it's no more than a quart of coolant

Beirutsfinest

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Well, I mean, it's got to go somewhere, right? Does anyone who has this problem know where the coolant's going? Any clues? I don't want to come off wrong here... I'm not trying to cause any problem, I'm just curious, because it won't just disappear.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My experience with coolant leaking is from the thermostat housing. On my 93 t-bird, I added coolant, usually a quart or two a couple times a month. It seemed to leak only after pressure build up after shutting off car . I would notice dampness on driveway the following day. This only happens once or twice a month. It was never consistant. I've never actually seen it leaking out of the housing but see a trail of dirt that sticks to it and runs down the motor. I had a 86 Mustang with a 3.8L that did the same thing. A new seal with some RTV solved the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts