TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I set up a spreadsheet to generate a script that will create a folder structure for a task at work with appropriate permissions etc. There are two sheets; sheet one has a couple rows with the names of the users, then a formula generates the username of the user. Sheet two generates the script that creates the folders and sets NTFS permissions - a three line per user process.

The problem I ran into is that since I have three rows of formula in sheet two, all of which reference the same row on sheet one, that when I copy the three rows and paste them down to however many rows I need for the number of users/folders I'm setting up, it increments by three and skips two user rows on sheet one.

Example sheet1:
a b c
1 first last username
2 joe smith jsmith
3 jack bauer jbauer
4 john doe jdoe
5 billy smith bsmith

Example sheet2 output:
a b c
1 mkdir "example\jsmith"
2 icacls "example\jsmith" /grant:jsmith r
3 icacls "example\jsmith" /grant:jsmith (oi)(ci)(io)m
4 mkdir "example\bsmith"
etc.

As you can see, if I copy/paste the three rows of formula from sheet 2 for my script it skips two rows on sheet 1. I got around this by adding two blank rows between each user on sheet one for now, but is there a way to get excel to auto increment the cell reference in the formula by one when copying and pasting three rows of formula?

·
Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
With a C&P like that, no.

But you know, I think you can script what you're doing in Sheet 2 in Powershell. Save Sheet1 as a CSV. Or even just column 3 as a CSV table.

RwP

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have an MS cert in Excel...2003 lol. God that was so long ago, I dig the Jack Bauer example though haha.

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might ditch the excel idea later on, I might use it more over the summer and my patience will dictate whether I write a different script with a loop to just read the folder/user account names from a csv and do all this. I just need to make sure I go over the .csv first to ensure there are no duplicate names etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
...I dig the Jack Bauer example though haha.
For geek cred, you always populate the "junk" data with something vaguely recognizable.

The only one I ever got called out on was "A. Schicklgruber, Berlin"

:)

Lotr, matrix, niven, heinlein; nothing's sacred. :)

I recently replaced the "lorem ipset" text in all our templates with the actual Cicero quote it mangles. :)
No one has noticed yet, and there are multiple Latin speakers in our group.

"Lorem ipsum" text is derived from sections 1.10.32–3 of Cicero's De finibus bonorum et malorum (On the Ends of Goods and Evils, or alternatively [About] The Purposes of Good and Evil).[2] The original passage began: Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet consectetur adipisci velit (translation: "Neither is there anyone who loves, pursues or desires pain itself because it is pain").​

In most templates, the bold text is repeated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts