TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has come to my knowlege that #2+6 cylinders are only getting 50psi after 3 pump on the compression test. So i removed the valve cover and inspected the rocker arms and pushrods and they looked fine. Seeing this I began to remove my timming cover to inspect the timming chain and alignment. And today i've finished that and saw that everything was alright.

Seeing all of this the only thing left for me to do is remove the head(s). Taking one off i might as well do the other one. Since I'm getting that intake(s) and T/B from CatBird, i figures since the intakes are coming off i should replace the H/g's anyways seeing how the motor has quite a few miles on it (210,000). So the striped bird is going to be out for awhile.

Wish me luck! I'll need it.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
That sucks man. Has Chrometip sold his heads yet? They're pretty cheap. If you can get a hold of them that'd be a good thing to do while the heads are off anyway.
-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
oh sh*t...forgot about that. Sorry :(

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It's cool, I'll just slap you when we meet this spring/summer. ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What did the hand say to the face? SLAP!!!
What are the best H/G to use when doing this. Are Ford's OEM brand good or should i go with a well trusted brand?

I can fix the heads if they are f'ed up. so its no big deal, just time consumming.

·
8,978 Posts
I'd personally go with fel-pro. I've heard Ford is making some high quality HG's now but I have yet to see them so I can't really give my opinion on them yet.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have only used the Fel-pro, which has lasted 6 years / 35,000 miles so far. The newer Ford gaskets are a multi-layer steel gasket, which should be much better than the old Ford ones. I don't really know how it stacks up against the Fel-pro. To its credit, my mom's 96 Windstar has lasted 100,000 miles on its original head gaskets (as far as I know ... haven't taken off the heads.) Fel-pro has a steel gasket listed for 97+ 3.8s, but I don't know if it fits any Thunderbirds. Morana V6 Racing sells some different types of metal gaskets: http://www.moranav6racing.com/parts2.html RPM-Mustangs also sells gaskets: http://www.rpm-mustangs.com/ocat/engine.html This is a good place to look for advice on which to choose, but you could also contact someone like those 2 vendors and ask what they recommend for your particular application (and if the later gaskets will fit).

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went ahead and ordered some from fel-pro. I got the gasket kit and head bolt sets.

thanks for the info guys!

·
8,978 Posts
newer model gaskets won't work, the coolant passages are different.
-Thomas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts