TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a kid….

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
good words, I am only 25, but as a kid, we had a bunch of land in the back of our neighberhood. Almost everyday, I was back ther playing, making forts, just doing whatever we wanted. My parents didn't care, just as long as I left them a note.
The good thing about those woods are, I still play in them. Yep. I bought a house in my old neighberhood, and now we use the land to play paintball, or ride dirtbikes on. Kids these days rely to much on computers and internet and TV, and gamboy. I have a 10 year old nephew, who refuses to go out and play. If he does go outside, he'll take his Gamboy with him to play.
I think as a father figure, I'm going to NOT buy my kids any kind of Nintendo. They can play with my orginal 1985 one.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.....and learn how to blow into the games to make them work!

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Its all true!

You also got guns for christmas but didn't shoot anyone.

If you were caught with dads guns you got your *** kicked, not locked guns in storage that you KNOW you werent suppose to touch.

You were raised and EXPECTED to acknowledge elders as "Sir and Maam".

You had a beef with your buddies you didn't shoot them, you kicked *** or got yours kicked!

If both parents worked you stayed with a sitter. Generally they were equal to or worse than the parents and they would thrash your *** without hearing "Child abuse"

Night on the town was out to a local Diner for dinner with the family! Geez imagine that.!!

Pull onto the interstate at 10:00 at night drive 15 miles before seeing a car. "Awesome.

Nearly all business worked 7:00 - 5:00 Monday thru Friday. Nearly eveyone was off on weekends, with some exceptions of course. Now most roll 24/7

A bank loan was when you walked into your local banking institution, you signed the papers, gave a handshake and the banker asked how your mom an dad were doing.

ETC , ETC

Geez, I miss those days.:)

·
Banned
445 Posts
Sad thing is, as a parent I really worry about my son when he's out with friends (he's 6). There are too many psychos out there not to mention some stupid *** parents. There are a few houses he no longer is allowed to go to because they're parents are seriously screwed up in the head and think it's their right and place to put thoughts into my child's head and have complete disregard for our wishes to not load our kid up on sugar and ****. He's already hyper enough......god forbid they feed their kid fruit, etc. Times have definately changed from when I was a kid.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
and you could smoke just about anywhere. Restaurants, Bowling Alleys, hospitals. Doctors would be taking your blood pressure while smoking.

Throw lawn darts (the real ones) into trees. Shoot snapping turtles in the pond with a .22. Walk the streets at night without fear of some crack head holding you up.

You waved at everyone you passed and they waved back. Even strangers. Where I lived in Vermont was like that. That was one of the few nice things about living there.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Al_Florida said:
Throw lawn darts (the real ones) into trees.QUOTE] OH that was such a blast!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wow so there were some advantages to growing up in samll town Mississippi.

I got my BB gun at age 8. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Back in the day...

My friends and I would play "kick the can" well into the night. Now a days they call it "prowling".

I would be gone all day on my bike with no way for anyone to get ahold of me....and I was fine...yeah, i rode without a helmet....

Eric

...When I was a little gearhead I used to tear my bike apart completely, clean everything and repack all bearings with new grease just 'cuz i was bored. Anyone else do that?:D

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did that. In fact I painted my bike a couple of times while it was in pieces.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
1MTNCAT said:
You also got guns for christmas but didn't shoot anyone.

If you were caught with dads guns you got your *** kicked, not locked guns in storage that you KNOW you werent suppose to touch.

You were raised and EXPECTED to acknowledge elders as "Sir and Maam".

You had a beef with your buddies you didn't shoot them, you kicked *** or got yours kicked!

If both parents worked you stayed with a sitter. Generally they were equal to or worse than the parents and they would thrash your *** without hearing "Child abuse"

Night on the town was out to a local Diner for dinner with the family! Geez imagine that.!!

Pull onto the interstate at 10:00 at night drive 15 miles before seeing a car. "Awesome.

Nearly all business worked 7:00 - 5:00 Monday thru Friday. Nearly eveyone was off on weekends, with some exceptions of course. Now most roll 24/7

A bank loan was when you walked into your local banking institution, you signed the papers, gave a handshake and the banker asked how your mom an dad were doing.

ETC , ETC

Geez, I miss those days.:)
Yeah, but you're an old fogey! :tongue: j/k

Oh wait! I am too! :D

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
Man, I must have been raised in the wrong generation. That's exactly how my parents raised me (and probably how i'll raise my kids). I turned out fine.:zdunno:
That's what I'm saying!

It really bugs me to see how anally retentive society has become about certain things. I understand how the world is a much more dangerous place than it used to be, but still.. people need to relax a bit.

Eric420 said:
...When I was a little gearhead I used to tear my bike apart completely, clean everything and repack all bearings with new grease just 'cuz i was bored. Anyone else do that?
Hell yeah I did.. Wasn't always because I was bored though. As soon as I learned how to ride, I beat the p*ss out of my bikes. Bent rims and handlebars, cracked/broken frames.. all in a day's play. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, that brought back some memories. I build go karts too (no engines at first), had this ample supply of wheels at the local Supermarket. Used to go down to the parking lot, turn over a shopping cart and remove the wheels. Left it there, upside down without any wheels, and never got caught or questioned. Used to ride my motorcycle off-road (before I had a license) without a helmet or eye protection. Occasionally got caught riding on-road, had to listen to a lecture from the cop for 10 minutes then let go. Cops knew all the kids, who was bad and who was good. We used to even launch model rockets from the front of our cars, try that now and you'll probably get a trip to Getmo.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
You know......I can relate.

First off, I'm only 23....So I grew up in the mid-late 80s, but for the most part, the 90s. My sister & I where given a Nintendo (NES) in 1987 or 1988. We had it for approx. one month, and then it was put away, never to come back out again, except for some special occasion every couple years. It was too nice outside to be playing video games. I sold it about eight years ago for 20 bucks...perfect condition with about ten games. oh well.

We DID play outside...I rode my bike everywhere. Keep in mind, I lived in Sacramento, CA, in not a real bad area, but not the best, and just across the freeway from a REAL bad neighborhood. Nothing ever happened to me. We'd play outside till dark. It was great. Nothing bad ever happened to me...keep in mind this was the early 90s--things where "dangerous" by then. :rolleyes:

In the mid 90s, we moved to a small town...well, we lived five miles out of town...If I wanted to go see friends, or just go to town for a burger or a milkshake or a soda or something...guess waht? start walking or riding! And guess what? I did it. And I enjoyed it. Sometimes I'd get a flat tire midway through.....I guess we're walking unless somebody stops & offers a ride....and if they offered I might take it, I Might not, but rarely becuase I was afraid of them.

A couple years later we moved to another small town. I rode my bike to school (and everywhere) every day. I did it becuase I liked it. I looked forward to riding my bike to & from school. It almost felt like having a car, in a way...

AND I USED TO TEAR MY BIKE DOWN, CLEAN EVERYTHING AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER TOO!

I used to build model cars, I would listen to the radio constantly if I was inside (classic rock--70s type stuff.....all my memories of doing homework have classic rock in the background. I miss that)

I used to go across the street to the park and we'd play with rocketts.

I had a kite and a field behind me........this means HOURS of entertainment.

When I was little, sometimes, at school, at "recess" the other kids would be playing sports....I would go out in the middle of the grass where nobody was, lay down, and look at the sky and the clouds, enjoy the warm sunny weather, maybe a nice breeze, and look at the clouds. Of course, I was never big into sports, so that probably explains it.

When I finished 8th grade, I was given a brand new http://www.specialized.com mountain bike. I rode the **** out of that bike for years. I still have it. It has about four thousand miles on it. Getting a drivers licence/car put a stop to that. Such a shame. Once I move down south to Austin I'll ride again.

When I first got that bike, I rode it from my house, to the smallest mountain range in the world (Sutter Buttes) and to the town of Sutter....BY MISTAKE. Then, I stareted doing it for fun. People in the town thought I was crazy. I used to log about 100 miles a week on that bike. I was in great shape. I miss that.

When I was 15, I wanted money....to buy stuff for my bike. So I got a job. I have been working non-stop ever since. Unlike one of my co-workers, who told me that I was weird, and that he "didn't have to get a job untill he got out of high school" Must be nice. I didn't have to, but I wanted to. And I did. It's hard when your 15, and in a small town, and an "outsider" to be taken seriously when asking for a job.

And now?

Well,

I'm not common. Not for my age anway. I listen to old music. I collect records (remember those?) I collect old pictures, advertisements, and other misc. "stuff" from long before my time. I love antiques, I am drawn to anything old. I have had way more friends old enough to be my parents, grandparents, or great grandparents, than I have ever had friends my age. In fact, it's almost a rule that one has be at least five years older than me in order for me to connect wtih them. There are exceptions, but they are rare. Somebody my age, or younger, who I become friends with, is usually pretty rare person, and, usually, act older than they are.

So anyway...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ohh heres one.

Playing with fireworks.

I loved to take M-60's and blow the F*** out of ant hills and green army men.
We would also light bottle rockets and with them in our and and throw them. We used to have a plastic baseball bat that had a hole in it and we would put the bottle rocket in it and shoot like a gun. Just remember to close your eyes because the powder coming out always got in them.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Youngstown's murder rate is 3 times the nat'l average, but my neighborhood isn't that bad. There are a few drug problems, the occasional break-in, or car theft, but I don't think anyone has been murdered in my area. But, in the summer, the kids still play outside after dark--playing hide and seek and catching lightning bugs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yeah there was nothing like racing the street lights as they come on at night.
I had until the one in front of our house came on, if my bike was not beside the house and me on the porch, my mom would be standing there waiting to tan my a**. And then tell me to get cleaned up for dinner.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Maybe a bird flu pandemic wouldn't be so bad, from a utilitarian point of view of course.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts