TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this over on V6power and he is the first one that I've found that acutally tried it and so far succeded.

Roadhawg's quote "I am making 221rwhp and 326rwtq through an Auto using a stock 1992 M90 with a 10% od pulley, stock SC heads, stock NA short block. On a side note I have an Xcal2 a custom tune and use 93 octane"

so far he seems to like it and now we will actually see how long one of these lasts, he is on the weaker 89-95 style shortblock also. With a good converter this combo should be good for high 13's on a tbird.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
very nice :thumbsup:

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
sweet! hopefully it'll hold up, i hope he's using a better tranny.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
And no one believed me.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Ive been spending the last few months figuring out how to make an m90 kit that will be a "bolt-on" to an NA engine without having to change intakes, accessory brackets, etc. It would be mounted beside the engine, most likely on the driver side, because it has more room on that side. It would be cool to buy an m90 off ebay, then buy a kit to mount it up easily.
-Thomas

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
as in meaning that you don't have to go to a dis system either for the older, pre-96 3.8's? that would rock, big time, lmk how i can help...:D

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Brackets and an intake wouldn't bother me, I just want the Insurance to fix my car and someone to pickup the tab for the rental.

·
Registered
169 Posts
ive been considering getting a newer 4.2 shortblock, throw on some ported single port heads and getting a donor SC and making a 4.2 single port SC. since I know the crank will hold up, but I'm slightly worried about the pistons/rods. Has anyone tried doing this before?

Will 89-95 sc pistons work with the 4.2/96+ rods? or will I be better off jsut getting a Forged rod/piston combo from Morana/RPM?

Its cool that someone has finially put a M90 on a stock botton end, but how well are those hypereuretic(spelled right?) pistons gonna hold up in the long run w/ ~12psi on them?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
the na pistons arent even hyper, they're cast. The SC has hyper pistons. If you plan on building the motor, I would just put in some real internals. Some aftermarket forged rods and forged pistons. Morana, RPM, SSX, they all sell sets of them. I like RPM's because they can match the piston dish to the combustion chamber shape. Also, SC rods are shorter than 4.2 rods, and 4.2 pistons are shorter than all 3.8 pistons, so you'd need a different combo anyway.
-Thomas

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thomas said:
the na pistons arent even hyper, they're cast. The SC has hyper pistons. If you plan on building the motor, I would just put in some real internals. Some aftermarket forged rods and forged pistons. Morana, RPM, SSX, they all sell sets of them. I like RPM's because they can match the piston dish to the combustion chamber shape. Also, SC rods are shorter than 4.2 rods, and 4.2 pistons are shorter than all 3.8 pistons, so you'd need a different combo anyway.
-Thomas

ok, cool thanks for correcting that for me, I guess I read all the threads/forums wrong on that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The stock N/A short block is holding up just fine. I do have a custom tune and use premium gas. I am using the car as a daily driver and dive conservitively for the most part. With the 10% overdrive pulley I do see 12lbs of boost at the higher rpms.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
You guys really know how to mess me up!

I've got the engine and trans from a 90 Super Coupe sitting, but have been trying to put together a cammed 4.2 Splitport for my Bird. ARRGHH!

Roadhawg, did you put the SC intake and intercooler set up on your N/A?

I suppose I'd have a mess trying to use my EEC from a 97 with SC components on my 97 N/a Short block.

Thomas, you going to the SCCoIA meet next saturday?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The short block is a 1995 N/A
The rest of the items are SC parts: intake, heads, valve covers, brackets, water pump, fuel rail.
I also used a SC Thunderbird radiator and intercooler in my Mustang.
The 1995 Mustang had OBD2 computers so I have custom tune with an Xcal2.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PCD said:
You guys really know how to mess me up!

I've got the engine and trans from a 90 Super Coupe sitting, but have been trying to put together a cammed 4.2 Splitport for my Bird. ARRGHH!

Roadhawg, did you put the SC intake and intercooler set up on your N/A?

I suppose I'd have a mess trying to use my EEC from a 97 with SC components on my 97 N/a Short block.

Thomas, you going to the SCCoIA meet next saturday?
I don't see why, just use your sensors off the 97' and lengthen any wires thast need it. My 96' has now issues with a blower. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts