TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you guys added a shift kit/did a jmod with close to or over 100k miles without ever changing the tranny fluid? im about to add a shift kit to mine, but i was concerned that i would run into problems since i have never changed my fluid before when i have over 100k miles. for the record, i havent had any tranny problems. will fluid this old create any varnish or cause old fluid to be clumped to parts inside the tranny?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
i should have done mine more often but i had like 99500 miles on mine when i did the jmod. its fine now 30000 miles on it. gonna do the fluid change within the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Did the J-Mod at 140,000 miles. Only had the fluid changed twice before that, at the 50,000 and 110,00 mile mark.

Switched to Mercon V at the 140,000 mile mark.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i guess im kind of concerned that fluid this old would be fused to parts, making it hard to take out springs and retainers and whatnot. anyone experience this?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
No but going forward be nice to your trans and give it fresh mercon every 15-20K

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I jmodded mine at ~120,000 on the clock. I know for a fact that the fluid had been change at least once before, and I bought the car at ~80,000 miles. I'm not sure if it was merc V or not, but thus far I've not had problems with my tranny. And mine was running fine at 120,000 with no jmod

·
Registered
200 Posts
Engine replaced at 88,930 Jmod at 90,000 with a cooler and merc v. no problems and best of all no more shudder!!! BTW I have no clue if the fluid was ever changed before I did it at 78,000. Be sure to use merc v, not dex 3.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I heard someone say not to use Mercon V in the AOD. Not sure which you should use but that's what I read.
-Thomas

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The seals are the same in both trannies, contrary to all the stories the tranny shops tell you. I believe its Page 5 of Jerry's article states its safe and proper to use Mercon V. It's in there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The more recent tsb's also say mercv, I have it here somewhere, here found it won't post the entire tsb, but here's the note.
NOTE
FLUIDS LABELED MERCONV ARE
RECOMMENDED FOR SERVICING 1992 AND
BEYOND AODE/4R70W TRANSMISSIONS WHICH
ORIGINALLY SPECIFIED MERCON. SERVICE

·
8,978 Posts
thndrchiken said:
The more recent tsb's also say mercv, I have it here somewhere, here found it won't post the entire tsb, but here's the note.
NOTE
FLUIDS LABELED MERCONV ARE
RECOMMENDED FOR SERVICING 1992 AND
BEYOND AODE/4R70W TRANSMISSIONS WHICH
ORIGINALLY SPECIFIED MERCON. SERVICE
But that does not include the AOD. Those two transmissions listed are the electronic overdrives.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That's correct, the TSB only applies to the electronic overdrive trannies. To my knowledge the AOD's didn't suffer from the same problems.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Problems or not, the man who helped design the transmission recommends it. His word is kinda hard to beat in this situation.

·
8,978 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
Problems or not, the man who helped design the transmission recommends it. His word is kinda hard to beat in this situation.
yup you're right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts