TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did you get it? What did you pay? What are your likes and dislikes? I'm looking at the Super Turbo kit.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I won't speak for price because all I have are the mufflers (the rest was custom), but I like the sound. Despite what people say, it is different than stock, especially with the resonator removed. Mine have changed significantly since adding the RichardM tube, much better sound.

I like 'em.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I got my super turbo catback kit from jegs. It was $199.00 about 15months ago. The system was very easy to install & I like the sound.

W.Cup

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
http://summitracing.com/

$182 shipped. When I got it they had a deal for no shipping and $25 mail in rebate. So it is normally $200 plus shipping and handling. There handling fee is $7 .

My likes: It supposedly flows better then stock and better then other catbacks. I never had the car dynoed so I really couldnt tell you how much or anything. It feels like I have a little more power if I can even feel it but you arent going to notice much, most exhaust you wont unless its full duals.
I wasnt looking for loud when I got it. This sure isnt loud. But it is pretty good after a few months. Almost a year down the road right now it sounds pretty good and it still looks good. There is no major rust on it or anything.

Dislikes: The kit doesnt delet the resenator. Some 97s dont have them so you might not have to worry.

If you do have it and want to get rid of it, its only a extra $5. A 12" or so piece of pipe and one clamp will do the trick.
Another dislike was that the passenger side muffler on mine had fitment problems. It just took a while, thats all.

Over all the Likes out weigh the Dislikes a lot. I would say if you are looking for a catback for a good price and some performance then this is the one. You can get the flowmaster if you want louder but it is more money and half the time they only last 2 years.

-Shawn

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just put the system on my 97 2 weeks ago. Real easy install, real nice looking stainless downspouts. Exhaust tone for me is right on the money, not loud and obnoxious, deeper and a little louder at full throttle. Our cars don't have that resonator so it starts off a little louder than other years. Paid $189 shipping included, but I lucked out on an Ebay auction from a Pep Boys closeout. There is also a $25 rebate from Dynomax good till the end of May. Can't beat it for the money. Now all I need is a chip. ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
i had one on my car. was pretty pulsating. much better than the 2 flowmasters that i heard, those were kind of tin cannish, the dynomax was not. its nice and quiet and a bit louder when you get on the throttle. i'd say its one of the nicer catbacks for the price. i paid like $200 to my door from jegs about 2 years ago. its easy to install, and i don't think your 97 has the resonator, my 96 didn't. just the 3rd cat. i put in a magnaflow, and deleted the 3rd cat to put it in its place. sounds muuuuuch better.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
flowmaster doesnt fall apart after 2 yrs wtf are u talking about, and dynomax loudest mufflers willnever compare to flowmasters 40series

·
Registered
244 Posts
move to upstate new york douchebag, then it will fall apart even faster. so keep your little attitude to yourself. the dude asked for opinions, what did you contribute to his original questions? i just love people that fly off the handle because someone posted their opinion on how long a system lasts, are you the flowmaster god or something? because i doubt you know how long each one will last. besides, did embalmer ever ask if the flowmaster was louder? did anyone ever doubt that the flowmaster was louder? go back to middle school and take out your agression on some little kids.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Well... to try to contribute and get this hopefully back on track, I got mine from Summit a while back. It installed easy as heck with no real fuss, looks great (especially the tips), and sounds very good under light throttle, and even better under full throttle. I just drove from Cherry Point NC to DFAS Kansas City, MO for a two week trip, and the exhaust never became annoying (we were setting the cruise at pretty high speeds, 75 and above).

I'm going to look into getting the Magnaflow muffler to replace my resonator, or I may pipe it (I doubt that). I'd like a little better flow and sound, but I really don't want to make it too much louder. If I want loud, I drive my Bronco with the 351 and 2.5 exhaust with dynomax bullets (the shortest ones available) or my motorcycle with it's Akrapovic race exhaust (annoyingly load).

Overall, I really like the Dynomax catback for the Thunderbird.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
BR1 STFU, iv had a flowmaster catback on my car 4ever, if ur **** falls apart it because u cant take care of ur ****. geez what a moron

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Now now, No fighting. Thanks for sticking up to a fellow up state (yeah, Im only half upstate) NYer. ITHURTZ, I didnt mean they all will fall apart, just that I remmember at least two posts, forgot who, that said their flowmaster started to rust out. The were probably northeners because everything rusts out here. I wasnt doubting anyone that says theirs is good. I was stating a opinion on my experiences and experiences others have posted that I have read.

BTW, I am pretty sure BR1 takes care of his car pretty damn well. He has contributed to this board for a long time and takes as much pride I am sure in modding it and keeping it nice as much as any of us do.

-Shawn

·
Registered
244 Posts
i've never even owned a flowmaster, i use magnaflow on everything now and it hasn't fallen apart yet. anyway, i would buy the dynomax over the flowmaster anyday, it sounds better in my opinion. i've heard my dynomax and 2 with flowmaster systems, and the dynomax sounds much better. i do take as good of care of my car as i can, ask UPGRADE how clean it is. the north is harder on vehicles due to a lot more salt than where you're from. just try not to get as much of an attitude when someone states their opinion. you should have just said "i've had a flowmaster forever and it has not rusted out" avoid that "wtf" and other stuff. i could have avoided calling you a douchebag i apologize, but this is the kind of stuff that cause a ruckus a while back. why isn't your car running?

shawn........half upstate, but anybody from the city considers anything north of poughkeepsie upstate. you guys got quite a bit of snow this year didn't ya? btw.....you are or were going to school in maine right? what route do you drive home?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I put the Dyno Max kit on few weeks ago and was disappointed that it is no louder than the stock system. Was easy to install and is a nice piece. I still have the resonator and will take that one out sometime, but I doubt it will make much of a difference. IF you want considerably more sound than stock, you will be disappointed. If you look for a well flowing system to supplement your other mods, you will probably be happy with this system.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
never seen a flowmaster rust out, prob is the area. my thunderbird i bought with 119,000miles. for 1500$ mint interior excellent outside, drove it for 1 month and had probs, i take car of cars dam well, not my fault if ford doesnt know whats wrong with there own cars

flowmaster 40series sounds better than dynomax, u musta heard it on a pos car

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
BR1, my 5.0 started getting sluggish, when i floored it the rpm's would jump to 2500rpm and go no higher and not much speed, i went from max speed to max of 40mph, then 30 then 10. then i gave(towed) it to ford and they messed it up even more. they replaced my timing chain and gears "supposedly" and then they set off my alarm and drained my battery, so they said m engine "locked up" and i need a new one for 4k. payed them the 800$ for a non running car, took it home idled for 2 sec and then i just ripped the engine apart, now process of putting it back on, 98% done and hope it starts.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
How come I never hear people mention the stainless steel flowmasters in here. I know it's still new, but shouldn't the fact that the mufflers are made from 409 stainless steel help resolve that infamous "my Flowmaster rusted out on me in less than a year" thing?

Jim

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
flowmaster ss is new yes, i was thinking about getting 1 of those and puttin it underneath my driveshaft. maybe all stainless acc, but if your muffler or **** gonna rust so much put a high temp of paint on it, common sense

·
Registered
292 Posts
My opinions, and just that, for what they are worth.

I put the Dynomax on my 97 almost 4 years ago, because my wife (primary daily driver of the car) thought the Flowmaster kit I had on my 92 Sport was too loud. Headache City after an hour or so at around 70 mph, with 3.08 gears. The Dynomax is pretty transparent until you get on the throttle, but I like it that way. At idle and during normal driving, it is significantly deeper than my 94 Mustang GT (stock exhaust).
I also prefer the "stock" look of the Dynomax kit, over the half-thought-out layout of the Flowmaster kit at the muffler and tip end. I had to trim about an inch from the driver's side tailpipe, where it goes into the muffler, so the muffler tip wouldn't rub on the rear bumper cover, but other than that, it was less than 2 hours from start to finish, on my garage floor. Got mine from Summit because they were $10 cheaper than Jeg's, and spent the $10 on stainless steel flat clamps.
And yes, my Flowmaster system looked terrible after one winter in Minnesota (lots of flaky rust anyplace there was a weld, like the muffler seams, even though it was all aluminized), and on a non-SC, it's not covered by the rear bumper cover, so it's all visible. The Dynomax kit has some surface rust now, but nothing major, and it's all well hidden on my 97. It's seen some salty roads in Iowa for a few weeks each year, but nothing lengthy.

If Flowmaster offers it in stainless, does it compare well to Borla? Anybody know?

Alex D, yank that intake silencer!!! It made a big difference in "total" sound on both of my V-8 powered birds, regardless of the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts