TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you guys know me... I did the J-mod awhile back, love it!

My question is referring to durability of our tranny. My 1-2 is pretty harsh, and if do a manual shift, it's VERY firm (car jerks forward a bit). I can't help but feel like something is going to snap one of these days.

What do you guys think? I trust Jerry very much, but my car is my baby, and I can't help but worry that I might damage it with the really hard shifts.

Or... is it simply that we are so ingrained with the smooth shifts, that it just feels wrong with the hard shifts?

-Chris

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yep, my 1-2 is extremely harsh also. Next time I do a filter change, I'm going to put the top spring back on top of the accumulator....

·
Registered
306 Posts
I replace the spring as well. It is still very firm with the spring in place.
And you are right, all those really harsh shift DO break things. :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yea, I am impressed that the cars have loops, considering the proximity of the gas tank, but they don't help with broken spiders gears, axle joints and stub shafts in the tranny... :D

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
it's a matter of taste. personally i like mine without the lower springs... but if youre worried then put them back in- no big deal. when i did the one for our older vic, i left the springs in... for the softer, more luxury feel. As long as you don't WOT at every stop, I dont think it would cause many problems. However, any of the higher settings are excluded from that statement - as with all shift kits, it does stress the axle and especially u joints. All things performance are a sacrifice, its just a matter of what you're comfortable with.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
rustyul said:
Yep, my 1-2 is extremely harsh also. Next time I do a filter change, I'm going to put the top spring back on top of the accumulator....
If you pulled the upper spring..you need to fix that anyway..the upper stays put,and the lower comes out on the 1-2,and no springs for the 2-3..
JL

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Johnny Langton said:

If you pulled the upper spring..you need to fix that anyway..the upper stays put,and the lower comes out on the 1-2,and no springs for the 2-3..
JL
i pulled the bottom one... and took out the 2-3

BTW, i'm thinking about getting my stock heads p&p... if you don't mind my asking, how much did renegade charge for that? (I think that's where you had them done... if i remember correctly)

·
3,232 Posts
chrisnack said:

i pulled the bottom one... and took out the 2-3
Good...what hole HP spec did you use to drill?
JL

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Johnny Langton said:

Good...what hole HP spec did you use to drill?
JL
drilled to mild i believe...

or could have been mild... I remember I noticed there wasn't much of a difference between the two... maybe i did 300... it's been awhile... :)

·
3,232 Posts
chrisnack said:

drilled to mild i believe...

or could have been mild... I remember I noticed there wasn't much of a difference between the two... maybe i did 300... it's been awhile... :)
Well,that's not gonna harm anything...I drove my car drilled to 300hp settings for almost 100K miles,and those that know me...know I drive like DanU does :headbang:
The car has the original halfshafts,rear hubs,rotors,bearings,LCA bushings,etc..those never been apart-and all of those parts are still good with 225K miles on them.
I replaced my diff and driveshaft at 160K miles,but it wasn't becuse they were bad...
JL

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Johnny Langton said:

Well,that's not gonna harm anything...I drove my car drilled to 300hp settings for almost 100K miles,and those that know me...know I drive like DanU does :headbang:
The car has the original halfshafts,rear hubs,rotors,bearings,LCA bushings,etc..those never been apart-and all of those parts are still good with 225K miles on them.
I replaced my diff and driveshaft at 160K miles,but it wasn't becuse they were bad...
JL
Ok... good to know! :)

I'm intending to build my car up N/A... and gonna try to hit your numbers... :) ugh.. your my hero or something ;)

BTW, you ever gonna make parts again? I'll be in need of them sometime soon, otherwise I'll have to buy them from KB, if i had some CAD drawings or something, I'd have my uncle make them. (He's a welding instructor).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts