TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come they don't make a sticky?

And let me get somethings straight because i get mixed answers form all the post's i took a look at.

1st Are all cougar, bird and mark 8.8's posi? "don't think so but its what i read"

2nd If not how do we tell its a locker?

3rd Can i take a 8.8 case and put a locker carrier in it? "change the side gears for the solid ones"

4th What has a 8.8 in it for ford?

and does any one have any thing else to add sorry to be a noob about this but hey some one has to get it right

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
How come they don't make a sticky?

1st Are all cougar, bird and mark 8.8's posi? "don't think so but its what i read"

No they are not all "trak-lok" AFAIK, MOST of the MN-12's are Open rear ends.

2nd If not how do we tell its a locker?

Look for the Axle Code on the Sticker from the factory, I believe it's on the ds door jam IIRC, then take that code to the tech article and match up your code.

3rd Can i take a 8.8 case and put a locker carrier in it? "change the side gears for the solid ones"

You can add trak-loc to you carrier, I did this when upgrading my gears to 3.73's

4th What has a 8.8 in it for ford?

Dunno, Sorry.....

Dave

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The tag on the door jamb is easiest but you can look on the tag on the pumpkin, too. Look for "3 08" or "3L08". Those numbers indicate 3.08 open and 3.08 Trak-Loc, respectively.
Ford used the 8.8 in many cars and trucks. All of the following had 8.8 available (but was not necessarily stock in them): Rangers, Mustangs, all Fox body cars, F-150's, Town Cars, Grand Marquis, and Crown Vics. Pretty much any RWD passenger car and truck. (Except heavy duty trucks, of course.)
You can use the internal parts of any of these in your IRS but you need to have the side gears machined or purchase IRS style side gears.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Any RWD ford car built since about 1980 with a v8 engine has a 8.8 rearend. Also some rangers and explorers, f-150's and e-150's.Mustangs usually have the traction lock specifically any GT. There is no sticky because the information you requested is all in the articles which saves the confusion of reading through threads.
Alan

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Plus not all MN12s have the 8.8 inch rear.

If it has a 3.8 NA engine it could have the 7.5 rear.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

~~Hello

Sorry but not all Mustangs after 80 have 8.8's The V6 one & some lx's have a 7.5 in them. Always look at the tag. if not sure or the tag is gone look at the housing. The 8.8 upper controll arms are almost cat direatly into the ring case.
~Or open the cover & check the part number on the ring gear.

~I have gotten 7.5" 4L10 gears out of a AWD Van, mid 90's i think.

PAUL

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
tbirdtess said:
Sorry but not all Mustangs after 80 have 8.8's The V6 one & some lx's have a 7.5 in them...
This has already been determined:

tinman_72 said:
...All of the following had 8.8 available (but was not necessarily stock in them): Rangers, Mustangs, all Fox body cars, F-150's, Town Cars, Grand Marquis, and Crown Vics...
dirtyd0g said:
Any RWD ford car built since about 1980 with a v8 engine has a 8.8 rearend. Also some rangers and explorers, f-150's and e-150's.Mustangs usually have the traction lock specifically any GT. There is no sticky because the information you requested is all in the articles which saves the confusion of reading through threads.
Alan

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
28 spline is what the MN12's have.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Traction control in a '95 doesnt necessarily mean it has a trac-loc, does it? it seems that by the way the alt guage pulsates when you really get into it that the traction control is controled by the ABS instead. True?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
No, traction control is an electronic system that uses the rear brakes to slow the spinning wheel so that power will be sent to the wheel that has traction. I believe that the ABS is utilized in the system.

·
Registered
882 Posts
MN12/FN10 have 28 spline axles and use a cir-clip axle retention mechanism, not a c-clip. As for LSD, when you look on the pumpkin tag, if it came with 3.27's and t-lok, it will say 3z27, not 3L27;) It should say something like 88 3z27, means 8.8" 3.27 with t-lok. The tag is up high and hard to see with the pumpkin in the car, they are usually right at the top on the side, mine have been on the pass side generally.

If you don't have a tag and the pumpkin is out of the car, take the cover off and look, you will see an S spring in the differential, I believe this info is all posted in the tech articles as well. Pinion gear will also be stamped with the ratio that is in there, usually there is a part number on one side then on the other it will say 3.55 or 3.73.

I posted the above based on my experiences.

Also, the cast iron pumpkins are stronger then the alum, the cobra guys dump the alums and look for the mn12 irons when they start to make serious power.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've never seen a "Z". I have seen an "L" however. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just means I've never seen one.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'd go find my tag but I tossed it out, I am pretty sure it was a Z. Either way, if there is a space in between the 3 and 27, then its def open.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts