TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filed under: Truck, Technology, Ford

Ford F-150 Ecoboost - Click above for high-res image gallery

Ford hit a milestone with its F-150 pickup last month. According to PickupTrucks.com, the Blue Oval sold more trucks with V6 engines than V8 mills. Forty-one percent of F-150 sales left the lot with the company's 3.5-liter Ecoboost six-pot under the hood. That number is up four percentage points compared to last month.

Additionally, the base, naturally-aspirated 3.7-liter V6 engine took home a 14 percent slice of the total mix, bringing the grand V6 total to 55 percent of all F-150 sales. The news comes as little surprise to anyone who's spent time in the full-size truck.

The twin-turbocharged, direct-injected 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine provides more power and better fuel economy than the 5.0-liter V8 alternative. While it carries a $750 premium over the larger displacement engine, buyers are keenly aware of just how much a few extra mpgs can save at the pump. As PickupTrucks.com points out, fuel prices are currently a dollar higher right now than they were at the same point last year.Ford F-150 V6s outselling V8 models originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 02 Jun 2011 09:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Daughter's boyfriend bought one last month. 365 horse from that little V6. Nice truck, with a 11,300 lb towing capacity. Quick little bugger.

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ford needs to put 5.0 V8 Coyote engines in them.

That'll put a stop to that V6 crap. LOL

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Never been a real fan of V6 but the jury is still out on this one. Gonna see how they hold up, after a year or so, of the kid 4 wheelin and pullin the daughter's 27 ft travel trailer. Time will be the test of this setup.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I bough an EcoBoost F150 back at the end of April. The power if the twin turbo V6 is unbelievable. Who needs a Mustang LOL, I don't.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My wife keeps nagging me to get one...I want something slightly more practical because I don't do enough hauling to warrant that much truck.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
IMHO the there are only 2 engine choices for the F150 ECO boost 3.5 or the 6.2 the rest are pointless. Just like in the 90s it was 300 and 351w.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
My dad is looking into them, if he ends up with the 5.0 that means he checked some option that requires it (like extended cab with long bed, for some reason).

The 5.0 seems laggy, the EcoBoost is strong from down low to redline.

I obviously am trying to get him into a Raptor for 15% more than what he is looking at will cost him. I think he would do fine with the 3.7 as long as he got an XLT or higher.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can believe it. Once the aftermarket starts supporting the Ecoboost (maybe it does now, i haven't looked) and if it proves itself reliable it will probably get even more sales. Forced induction = all i wanna drive.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I ordered my Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 in late Oct., 2010 with the 6.2, Max tow, and all. Got it on Jan. 19. This truck is Unreal!! I had the hard shell cover put on it, and the skid plates, and a few other goodies. On the freeway doing 70 mph, I get 19-20 mpg. At 60 I get 20-21 mpg. and at 55 I've gotten as much as 23.5 mpg. My "over - all" average mpg is 18.5. And I can prove it ;)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
IMHO the there are only 2 engine choices for the F150 ECO boost 3.5 or the 6.2 the rest are pointless. Just like in the 90s it was 300 and 351w.
I completely agree. As the owner of a 1989 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 with the good old 300 (and M5R2) I'm glad Ford finally has a decent 6cyl again. :)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Trunk monkey the do have the coyote engine in the them 360 hp and 380 torque at 4200 rpm while ecoboost makes 420 ft lbs at 2500 sorry but u can see the clear winner ecoboost owns the 5.0

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trunk monkey the do have the coyote engine in the them 360 hp and 380 torque at 4,200 rpm while ecoboost makes 420 ft lbs at 2,500 sorry but u can see the clear winner ecoboost owns the 5.0
Bummer. I guess the Coyote is detuned in the F-150 from the Mustang configuration at 412 hp at 6,500 rpm and 390 lb-ft of torque at 4,250 rpm. But I bet a lot of that has to do with size and configuration of the two vehicles ... Truck vs. Car.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Yes the 5.0 is 360 hp 380 tq

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
only difference is a half point of compression and the intake cams.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
One of the sales guys at my company just replaced his 2006 5.4 3 valve 2wd supercab F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost 4wd crew cab F-150 last week. I took it for a test drive and was very impressed with the power. I expected to hear the little engine screaming for mercy, but that was not the case. Very quiet and quick.

David

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I hate v6 engines I hope that every ecoboost engine blows up and ford goes out of business paying warranty claims. a v6 is just 3/4 of a real engine. maybe the people buying the f150 with v6 should grow a set of nad's.
You're an idiot. Get with the times, dude. More efficient engines are cool :). 420 lb-ft of torque out of a 3.5L V6? That's sweet, and I'm reminded of it every time I stomp on the go pedal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts