TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be installing a new (well, used) Ford NON-PI intake manifold on my '97 T-Bird 4.6 liter V-8 soon to replace the Dorman manifold that's currently on there (before I get a bunch of people telling me to put a PI-intake on it, that may come later on down the road. For now, I got a decent price on this manifold, I believe, and I just want a Ford manifold on it). Anyway, I ordered a new intake plenum gasket, new intake manifold gaskets and a new alternator bracket as I'm not entirely sure that the Dorman alternator bracket will work.

Did I miss anything else I'll need?

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just replaced the thermostat and the o-ring back in April when I got the car. Both the temp sensors are brand-new, too - should I put thread sealing tape on them when I reinstall them in the new crossover?

Speaking of the crossover, it's brand-new and unused, so I'll have to have it drilled and tapped for the 2nd coolant sensor (it's from a PI-intake; the person I bought this from just used his original crossover). Where can I take it to have that done? Any auto parts store with a machine shop?

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,209 Posts
To be on the safe side, I'd say get a new o-ring for the thermostat housing as well as a bit of teflon tape for the temp. sensors. An extra $2 investment that could prevent major pains later.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Wonder why you want to bother to switch it out unless you have problem with the Dorman. Many people flame the Dorman with no facts, but it is widely used and lifetime guaranteed. I would just wait for the PI if you plan on switching it again.

And no I don't have one, but know people who do. Most non dealer replacements are the Dorman.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonder why you want to bother to switch it out unless you have problem with the Dorman. Many people flame the Dorman with no facts, but it is widely used and lifetime guaranteed. I would just wait for the PI if you plan on switching it again.

And no I don't have one, but know people who do. Most non dealer replacements are the Dorman.
I am switching them out for 2 reasons - with very few exceptions, I don't like to have aftermarket parts on my car and, at least as far as the PI-intakes are concerned, there has been proven to be a power loss when using the Dorman manifold vs. the Ford manifold. I can't say that's the case with the NON-PI manifolds, but I'd still feel better having the OE Ford part on there.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I just put the Dorman one on my bird and I'll tell you that I cant feel a difference in my seat from the factory ford to the dorman.

Too bad you ordered the intake gaskets because I have a OE Felpro set that I didnt use for my swap I would have sold you cheap.

I would DEFINATELY replace that tstat o ring, it's only like $5 from auto zone and is worth it just so you dont have a headache. One other thing I would DEFINATELY recommend is to get a full set of injector O rings!! When I took mine off they basically cracked in 1/2. Cheap insurance as they were like $3 for a set of 8 on Rock Auto.

I dont run the upper alt mount on mine and I have no adverse affect on the car(although the alt just crapped out on me because the sar sat for 2 years).

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Not worth it.The Doorman is fine if you are not looking to maximize preformance. Leave it on there until you are ready to go PI.

Bob
he already made up his mind a LOOOONNNNNGGGG time ago....he just has different priorities than me or you

and yes get a new Tstat Oring...they don't "uncompress" and return back to their original toroidal shape, so you'd be risking it with a used one...highly unlikely a used one would leak, but still

you're gonna need to take the cross over to a machine shop or buy the bit/tap yourself....i seriously doubt any auto-parts store will have a drillbit/tap in the size you need.....I could even do it for ya for a very modest fee...i still have the drillbit/tap i bought for when I did my PI intake swap many moons ago

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I am switching them out for 2 reasons - with very few exceptions, I don't like to have aftermarket parts on my car and, at least as far as the PI-intakes are concerned, there has been proven to be a power loss when using the Dorman manifold vs. the Ford manifold. I can't say that's the case with the NON-PI manifolds, but I'd still feel better having the OE Ford part on there.

Dennis
I agree to a point on aftermarket parts Sometimes components are just better or non existent with OEM. I have a DirtyD0G torque convertor, Dynotech MMC drive shaft, Raxle half shafts, JL suspension braces, W&S Infocenter, Pioneer/Concord sound. I also have plenty of Mustang and MarkVIII upgrades.

But hey, if you have time to burn go for it.

I had a seal leak in the Supercharger on my Buick, OEM says replace the Supercharger. I got an aftermarket rebuilt snout. Saved $700 but it is not OEM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.