TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 302, I'd like to know if these parts will fit on my bird:

1) '87-93 Ford Racing Shorty Headers with GT40 "P" Heads (M9430P50)
2) Ford Racing Complete Intake Manifold Kit GT-40 (M6001A50)
3) '86-93 Ford Racing Stock replacement Water Pump (M8501C50)

I love this project car of mine and the goal is to have nothing but ford racing parts on there. I know it'll be a bit more expensive but I can stay with the comment "powered by ford" and know its not a lie :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
1) Yes and No. They will bolt on, but they require a special custom Header or exhaust manifold that currently is not made for our application.

2) Yes.

3)Pretty sure its no. The thunderbird waterpump has a different snout than that one. The clutch fan has a reverse(?) thread onto the T-Bird waterpump snout whereas that one requires the clutch fan to be bolted on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Umm, ok, I'm not understanding that first one... it will bolt on but it won't clear? or it will bolt on but not completely? I can make the rest of the exhaust piping no problem, I just need the headers.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The spark plugs exit at a more pronounced angle, meaning that the spark plugs will not clear headers from JBA and MAC and the stock manifolds. The heads will bolt on totally, but there are no headers that will clear the spark plugs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok then... what headers should I use? $499 is a bit steep just for headers... unless they're made of solid gold! And what water pump should I use? I have a ford racing 3 row radiator on its way from FSF. I'm also thinking of switching from a belt driven fan to a electric fan. If I did that would I be able to use the ford racing water pump?

·
Registered
40 Posts
5.0 racing

Hey, I have a 91 5.0 and i tried buying the 86-93 stock replacement direct bolt on

headers for my car and the driver side wouldnt go on unless u had a big hammer...

The problem was one of the tubes couldnt clear the steering knuckle...

They were heddmen shorties... I do believe that u should check in to MAC hedders..

They are CHEAPER....

Yes the fan is a reverse thread as i found out when i was installing u/d pullies.

Theoretically if the stock hoses match up, and the clutch fan is obsolete then yes it

would work... You should look at the stock water pump and compare it to the Ford

Racing one..

8astang's .02 cents

·
Registered
46 Posts
Would GT-40"X" heads work on a Thunderbird. Those things are pretty neat and would probably net fairly good numbers if they would work.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The only known bolt on headers are the ones from JBA and MAC with JBA being the better of the 2. MAC has had some probs with fit and quality issues. Replacing the clutch fan with an elec fan has been done, but keep an eye on your alternator and charging system. The stock alt's are not designed for running and elec fan. Other than that, you can use the water pump you found because you won't be bolting a fan to it. As far as the "X" heads I am not too sure. As long as the spark plugs come straight out they should be fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not worried about the alternator problem... 200 amp alternator should handle a dinky little fan no problem. I just want to know if the ford racing 5.0L water pump will work. I'm about to say **** it and get a gt-40 short block.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I run two fans, (pusher and puller) on a stock alternator no problem. BTW anyone know of a dual puller fan/shroud combo that works on our cars? I don't have a shroud currently and am suffering from it with deadspots in airflow on the radiator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts