TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found that ranger 3.0 v6's are much cheaper than t-bird 3.8 v6's, and since I'm looking for fuel economy this seems to be a better choice.
My queston is does the ranger engine accept the t-bird mounts at any point? Are the engines the same cast design but different materials and bore (or stroke, or both)?
What would go into swapping this kind of engine into the 86 tbird?

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
What would go into swapping this kind of engine into the 86 tbird?
I'd venture to say alot. I've never heard of such an animal. I'm sure you'd need custom engine mounts. The exhaust most likely wouldn't line up. The trans. shouldn't bolt up. The electronics aren't compatible, nor would be any wiring. You'd need the Ranger EEC and complete wiring harness. I think that a 3.0 would be DIS, but I'm not positive. If you used the engine and tranny from a Ranger (don't know how you'd do the shifter) you'd still need a custom length driveshaft. Way more work than I'd ever want to do. I would do a split-port 3.8L/4.2L swap most likely.

·
Registered
329 Posts
get a t-5 from a stang manuals get better mpg., or use 3.55 gears if you want in town mpg, newer o2's help too ; remove some underhood insulation , remove some things in the trunk you dont use. for extreme mpg highway freaks close your windows more and use the vent function (it really helps i confirmed it with the vacum gauge). retard timing and use the cheaper gas you can find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts