TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts
That's the end of a chapter, no doubt...

·
Super Moderator
17,044 Posts
It’s hard to understate the impact this engine has had on Ford’s lineup over the past twenty years. There’s the Crown Victoria, the Mercury Cougar, the F-series, the E-Series, two generations of Mustang… The list goes on

Haha, Cougars got mentioned, not Thunderbirds :tongue:

Bittersweet nonetheless, had a good 23 year run.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Interesting..

Well..It had a nice run..Let's see how long the "new" 5.0 lasts before Ford replaces that too..

Considering the 4.6L is now defunct..I guess it's as much of a dinosaur as my 5.0 pushrod engine huh?.. :tongue:

Rayo..

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
So where is it going?

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts
I guess it makes sense. They're killing the E-series after this model year ends and the 4.6 really only goes in those anymore...

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
ahh well...I had three of them over the years, and while they are fantastic engines....they really, really are....the new 5.0 is such a nice leap forward in every way....My only complaint, and this is evident in some of those facebook comments on that article...people seem to think that the new coyote 5.0, and the old vanilla ice 5.0 are the same thing, saying things like "the 5.0 was ford's best engine, I'm really glad they brought it back"

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Earl it is just with, different bore spacing, VVT, DOHC and 3 extra CID :D

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
Wow! Sad day indeed.... :bawling:

R.I.P. 4.6L.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
So how many is that with the last one made?...

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts
Oh, who knows. Several million at least.

·
Super Moderator
10,660 Posts
So how many is that with the last one made?...
Every Police Department and TLA in the country has at least 4 or 5; Millions of Taxis, millions of Trucks and Vans of various flavors, Tbirds, Cougars, Marks...

I'm with Brandon, several million at least; it wouldn't surprise me to find out there were ~15 Million made worldwide.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The new 5.0 are oil burners, I would not have one, I have seen it first hand

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts
That 4.6 rolled off on Johnny Langtons birthday, ironically.

·
Registered
742 Posts
While I like how bulletproof these engines have been in the various cars I've owned with them installed...I reeeeeally wish Ford would have kept the 'cam-in-block' arrangement, ala' Chebby LS.

The stupid-huge engine dimensions have relegated this engine series to the scrap bin of history.

The new 5.0 are oil burners, I would not have one, I have seen it first hand
I'm not terribly impressed with this engine, either.

I guess it has more in common with the old 4v DOHC 4.6
Yeah, in that both the 4.6 DOHC and new 5.0 are both stupidly complex, and don't fit in much of anything without serious modifications.

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts
Haha, Cougars got mentioned, not Thunderbirds :tongue:

Bittersweet nonetheless, had a good 23 year run.
That's probably because even though we don't, Ford(and the general public) considered those to be a general failure.(the MN-12 Thunderbird with the 4.6, of course!)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts