TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
All we need is that new 4.4L Yamaha V8, and we might have something that could be called an SHO again.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
wow, they should have did this the first time, and not even bring in the five hundred.

idiots

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Ford spokesman Jim Cain would neither confirm nor deny the move. He noted that Ford Chief Executive Alan Mulally has been a vocal advocate of the Taurus name and that many media outlets have speculated about the moniker's return to the marketplace.

"Taurus is a wonderful brand that's fondly remembered by a great many people and it's been fantastic to see so many reminders of that on blogs and other web sites," Cain said.
I didn't realize the name Taurus garners such enthusiasm. When I think of the name the first thing that comes to mind is boring 4 door sedans and station wagons. Family cars, budget minded rental cars. Oh yea didn't they make an SHO version too?

I could care less what Ford calls it's next family people mover. the 500, Taurus, whatever, that's cool. Unless it's an F-150 they'll still lose money on it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i guess he doesnt check tccoa. Only things i see about tauruses that are good are the SHO versions. 2000+ were good cars. I had one as a company car and it was bullet proof. The girlfriend has one too and likes it.

maybe if we make enough posts about making the Falcon over in Austrailia a Thunderbird, they will do it.
Oh wait, it will be cooler than the mustang, cant do it.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I own a five hundred limited and I really like the car....now for the but.....if it were called a Taurus my feeling is that it would appear less upscale even if there was no difference in the build. The fit and finish of the interior is miles ahead of any Taurus I've been in and the handling is very Audi like. I prefer the distance from the Taurus name but I guess since the Taurus was such a good seller they are just trying to regain sales traction but I think there is more to it than a name.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
My personal opinion is that it would have been more effective to leave the name the same, but make the car better...mainly the exterior. I know it's getting the Fusion grill, but make it a little more interesting and compelling there and maybe as well as the powertrain and it'd do better.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Unfortunately such thinking eludes Ford execs...

New Rule 10: No more gift registries. Picking out the stuff you want and having other people buy it for you isn't gift giving, it's the white people version of looting.
Wow wtf did that come from!? What color(s) would these non-white people be who go looting instead of having a gift registry like civilized white folks do? :confused:

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Southpaw said:
Unfortunately such thinking aludes Ford execs...

Wow wtf did that come from!? What color(s) would these non-white people be who go looting instead of having a gift registry like civilized white folks do? :confused:
It was out of a 10 rules for 06 and at the time it struck me funny. Since it's 07 it's time to move on....it wasn't my intent to offend you.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I'm not offended, but then I'm white. More like just blown away, like did he really just say that!? lol

No need to tack the color comment onto an otherwise good sounding rule...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
either way the sho didn't sell well the normal taurus is an awsome seller we just bought tons of 07s from ford and are selling them like crazy if they 500 would have been called a taurus i think they would have sold a lot more it doesn't matter if its a boring family 4 door what matters is ford sold the crap out of them and your actual car buyers bought them and still are buying them

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
When people are looking to buy a new car that costs anywhere from 15,000~40,000 they are a wee bit more concerned with the actual car and it's fit, finish and reliability then the name it's wearing, or who made it. Or at least I would hope so...

Obviously most Mustang, Camaro, etc, etc loyalists will settle for whatever’s crammed down their throat in the end. I haven't met many Taurus loyalists except those few SHO owners for the most part. Most mom and dads seem as content with a Nissan as a Ford, nevermind the model names.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Southpaw said:
When people are looking to buy a new car that costs anywhere from 15,000~40,000 they are a wee bit more concerned with the actual car and it's fit, finish and reliability then the name it's wearing, or who made it. Or at least I would hope so...

Obviously most Mustang, Camaro, etc, etc loyalists will settle for whatever’s crammed down their throat. I haven't met many Tuarus loyalists except those few SHO owners for the most part. Most mom and dads seem as content with a Nissan as a Ford, nevermind the model names.
There's a decent sized Taurus enthusiast community. Check out the TCCA at www.taurusclub.com. We've got over 10,000 members now. You should've seen the forums this morning...

The Taurus saved Ford's tail in the 80s, and was an excellent car. It was America's best selling car for many years until the 1996 redesign cost them a few sales because many didn't like the new look much. Ever since it's introduction, the Taurus has been one of the best sellers in America. The downfall of the Taurus was due to bean counters and Ford putting too much money into other programs. Ford could've saved the Taurus and kept it competitive, but was more interested in other things.

The SHO didn't sell well mostly because of the price. If I remember in 1993, and SHO with an automatic transmission was the most expensive car Ford sold.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Why anyone would stop making the best selling US car in the first place is beyond rational thinking. Their reconstruction ideas are not really steller either. The redesigned T-Bird should have been called the B-Bird. B for bye bye. The new Cougar, well it may get a good review in a fashion magazine, but in the car world it just does not capture the attention of the american buyer. But if you give them away it might. I think Ford does not know who their competition really is. It's the american people. GM builds the corvette for about $75000 to drool on and can be obtainable, Ford builds a $250,000 GT that no one but the super rich can own, at a time when they are losing money hand over fist. Where is the logic in that! Maybe they will team up with K-Mart and Martha Stewart, layoff everyone in USA, move the whole shootin' match to Mexico, build a Taco-bird and rename the Mustang to the Donkey, and rename the F-150 to to MCT-150.= marijuana/cocaine Transporter.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Jarrod said:
There's a decent sized Taurus enthusiast community. Check out the TCCA at www.taurusclub.com. We've got over 10,000 members now. You should've seen the forums this morning...
That's nice. They made about 7.5 million of them so I'm not surprised.

Jarrod said:
The Taurus saved Ford's tail in the 80s, and was an excellent car. It was America's best selling car for many years until the 1996 redesign cost them a few sales because many didn't like the new look much. Ever since it's introduction, the Taurus has been one of the best sellers in America
OK, Now consider this. Back in 1986 when the Taurus was introduced and saved Ford's tail, there was another floundering sedan it replaced. It was called the LTD. One could easily of argued back then that Ford was making a huge mistake not giving the new Taurus the LTD nameplate instead.

Now 20 yrs later the Taurus/500 are replaying the same sort of situation. The Taurus has been on the backslide ever since '96. Just like the LTD it's glory years are well behind it.

Jarrod said:
The downfall of the Taurus was due to bean counters and Ford putting too much money into other programs. Ford could've saved the Taurus and kept it competitive, but was more interested in other things
And the same could easily be said about the LTD too. but they didn't save it, not even the name. Instead the Taurus was born to replace it, named after a couple of the designers wives who happened to fall under the sign of the Bull. They could of called it the new LTD/LTD II/LTD III or whatever you know. lol

Names come and go. The solution to 12 billion in losses isn't going to be found in a nameplate.

BTW when the Taurus lost it's "best selling car in America" tagline it lost the title to the Toyota Camry. Worldwide the only auto segment from compact cars to heavy trucks and buses that Ford bests Toyota at is light trucks. Worldwide Toyo outsells them in every other segment they overlap in! :eek:

Ford needs to do alot more then rebadge it's model names to pull things out of the ****ter this time. Unlike the original Taurus that took off the 500 is floundering, or so it sounds. Sales down 22% this year? So soon after introduction? ouch. A quick front/rear clip restyle and a name change aren't going to turn the 500 into "The best selling car in America". It wasn't the name that made the Taurus America's best selling car but the car itself.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
The other issue is the American perception of poor quality. You can have the best car out there but if people perceive it will have issues sales will lag. The 05 Limited 500 I have is a good example....new it was a $30K car and I bought it a year and a half later for $15,900. Is it a bad car....not that I can tell and I can absolutely state it has the best build and ride quality of any Ford I have bought in the last 20 years including my Bird. Only time will tell if it holds up as well as the Bird (305,000) but all indications so far are it's a quality car. I really don't know how to overcome the perception issues the American auto industry faces or how to turn the perception that Honda or Toyota can do no wrong. With the recent recalls from Honda I would bet they have a higher recall rate than the new sedans from Ford but you would never know it from the automotive press

·
8,239 Posts
timb said:
I own a five hundred limited and I really like the car....now for the but.....if it were called a Taurus my feeling is that it would appear less upscale even if there was no difference in the build. The fit and finish of the interior is miles ahead of any Taurus I've been in and the handling is very Audi like. I prefer the distance from the Taurus name but I guess since the Taurus was such a good seller they are just trying to regain sales traction but I think there is more to it than a name.

I agree with you tim 100 percent.

I think a taurus nameplate would scare away more upscale buyers.

The 500 is a very nice car.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Southpaw said:

Obviously most Mustang, Camaro, etc, etc loyalists will settle for whatever’s crammed down their throat in the end. I haven't met many Taurus loyalists except those few SHO owners for the most part. Most mom and dads seem as content with a Nissan as a Ford, nevermind the model names.

your kinda right and kinda wrong here, i do agree with you about 25% of all the car buyers i talk to take the whole car into account every time they buy and they look at many different cars, but for the rest (and this is talking new car buyers cause we got 07s on the used lot) they don't keep up on cars i still get tons of people coming in and wanting to see the new taurus and when i tell them its replaced by the fusion and the 500 well now they want to look at everything but if i had a new taurus to show them they would be driving away in a new taurus, its hard to explain until you really see it but im just saying most people don't follow cars like many people on this site and still think the taurus is being made and never even heard of the 500 or have any idea what it is.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JustinH said:
I agree with you tim 100 percent.

I think a taurus nameplate would scare away more upscale buyers.

The 500 is a very nice car.
agree with both of you also, the 500 buyers do seem a bit more upscale then the normal taurus buyers but you have to remember both the fusion and the 500 replaced the taurus not just the 500

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Well I said I would hope so anyway. lol

Obviously if you don't have the "new" Taurus to show them suddenly they have to consider what is it they want to look at. Not good for a quick low hassle new car sale. It surprises me how little thought some put into what ends up being the 2nd, 3rd, 4th largest purchases of their lifetime.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts