TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what the heck are these PI heads I see so much about? Also, I have read they raise compresstion. Does that mean that I would have to run higer octane gas, like 93+? How much do they cost? As far as preformance what would I expect? Is the install hard or easy? If I put them on could I run nitrous with them later?:confused:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
long explanation made short. "PI" heads are the Performance Inhanced heads used on the 99+ Mustang GT's. Yes they do raise compression, not sure how much, and hp is increased around 60hp. how hard of an install, well that depends on the individual, if you can take the top end of the motor off of your car with no problems then it shouldnt be to hard for you, but if you cant change your own oil then id say stay away, and have it done. cost, depends 500-1500 depends on what ya get if you get them p&p'd then thats going to cost you more. nitrous sure, mustang guys do it all the time.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The PI heads can be found on 99 and new ford 4.6l and 5.4l engines Most people get ones off of 99-00 because they are windsor heads. The 01-02 heads are romeo heads. Ford moved the manufacturing plant thats why they changed. The romeo will raise the compression slightly more then the windsors. "VicRattlehead" pretty much covered everything else.

As far as putting them on you car, it depends what year your car is. 94-95 require more parts making it cheaper to just drop in a 99 mustang engine. Where as the 96-97 require less parts making the total cost around $1500 for new parts. Now you can go the used route making it even less.

The gains from them depend on what else you add at the time. Most people go all out and get new MAF, Throttle body, maybe injectors (depends on the person), JBA headers, underdrive pulleys, ect. Things do add up fast.

Read the tech section on the front page. then go the engine, then PI head install. It will tell you some good tips and the parts needed.
Email me with questions, I have done alot of research and will be doing the swap soon myself.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Would you? that would be great. You ever do it before? cuz I got no idea what im doing really. Im just gonna go by what iv heard/read and that a socket and go at it. It will be fun. Im getting a Ford video on how to remove and install heads on a 4.6 so that might help.

But if you want to come help, it would be great. I live behind a dominios pizza too :D So far im planning on doing the swap starting on the 30th of August so I got a 3 day weekend to finish it.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
extremely doubtful without a blower or nitrous

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
VicRattlehead said:
long explanation made short. "PI" heads are the Performance Inhanced.
Not to be picky... ok so being picky, anyway...

"Enhanced"

PI is for Performance Improved

:D

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
BlackBandit said:
Would it be possible to get into the low 13's without PI heads?
sure, SVO heads

if its true that we can flow more air on a well ported and polished stock head than a PI, then you surely could get into the 13s on the stock heads. thats something thats going to take alot of work and a lot of money to do tho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts