TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the final stretch of my first semester as an Electromechanical Engineering Technician with Fanshawe College and we have the chance to get involved in the Formula SAE Student Project.

FIRST AND FOREMOST:
"Sponsorship is needed!! If anyone knows of a business that is able to donate money, parts, etc, it would be greatly appreciated if you could contact them! Those who donate will receive a receipt for tax purposes and have their name on the car."

This mostly applies to cash donations as most of the people here are in the US and parts may not be a fiesable option.

On to the meat of the post. I'm basically head of the team building the chassis for this motorcycle engine powered race car.

I have skill building, but am modest, and I have never even considered building a chassis for a small race car. I'm not too concerned as this is a project for school so I'm certain we will have help However I dont really even know where to begin such a thing.

So, if there is anyone here who has experience building car chassis' I would really appreciate your assistance or input on how to approach this project.

One of our classes is in 3d modelling so I have solidworks, and a very basic knowledge of using it and modelling some small parts so again if anyone is familiar with solidworks I would really appreciate some good links or tutorials on how to go about modelling a char chassis if it's within my skill level at the moment.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I helped build a Formula SAE car two years ago when I was a Mechanical Engineering major. Never got into the actual drawing and fabrication since the other student members were too self absorbed in their project to let me do anything. The furthest we got was mounting the engine in the frame and making the seat. What size engine are you/ you all going to use? I think we went with a 250cc Suzuki for ours.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
were doing a 600.

Im on chassis, we have two guys (so far) doing engine/suspension/linkages. We really dont have to worry about modelling as we do have some people who are good with solidworks, but as for me I would like to design and model my aspect of it.

right now I think any good solidworks tutorials would help me out as I really only have the basics of solidworks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts