TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd known I had a vacuum leak for quite a while, but never really found it nor paid it much mind. Well, while digging around under the hood the other day, I spotted what I thought was my leak -- the tee at the back of the pass side of the intake, just under the throttle body, had a small hole in it. Find a new emissions tee at the Napa next door, $4, and I'm set. It wasn't until I pulled the whole assembly off that I noticed I'd only eliminated one leak. The other end of the line that attaches to the drivers side of the intake had collapsed and there was a nice slit about an inch long down the middle of the tubing. Well, that answers that. Luckily, I had some 3/8" tubing in the trunk, which fixed it right up.

The weird thing I noticed, and I really don't know how these can be related is this. After I got the leak taken care of, the car would idle fine, as well as if I was in gear with my foot on the brake. As soon as I'd go to take off, it'd hesitate a LOT like it was either getting too much gas or not enough. However, once I got above 2k, it'd absolutely FLY. I've never felt my car pull this hard. And I WANT THAT BACK. :zdevil: I reset the computer and now it doesn't do that anymore -- just drives like it should. I'm half tempted to put the old busted vacuum line back on, reset the computer, then put the good lines back on again but I've this weird feeling in the back of my head that's a bad idea. ;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
:ztoohot: BE HAPPY WITH A "GOOD" RUNNING MOTOR :ztoohot:

Getting more air into the motor via worn hose's is "NOT GOOD" :mad:

Hope this Helps :) :) :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is just a complete guess, but, it might be an answer.

You had a vacuum leak, which made your car run lean. The computer learned to compensate for this by adding more gas into the mixture. You fixed the leak. The computer was still adding more gas, so the car was running slightly rich. This made it fast. Now, you reset the computer, so the car is not running rich anymore, and therefore not as fast. Solution? Buy a chip that enriches the mixture when you stomp on it. HTH.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Johnphin said:
This is just a complete guess, but, it might be an answer.

You had a vacuum leak, which made your car run lean.
That was what I'd sorta assumed, however I didn't know if a vacuum leak would make the engine run lean. I honestly don't know enough about vacuum.

And as soon as I can afford it, there IS a chip in my car's future. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Serio said:

That was what I'd sorta assumed, however I didn't know if a vacuum leak would make the engine run lean. I honestly don't know enough about vacuum.

And as soon as I can afford it, there IS a chip in my car's future. ;)
Sure enough. A vacuum leak is just like boring a hole in the intake manifold. It results in the engine getting air that was NOT metered by the MAF, which leads to the lean condition, since the engine only add fuel for the air that the MAF sees.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Johnphin said:

Sure enough. A vacuum leak is just like boring a hole in the intake manifold. It results in the engine getting air that was NOT metered by the MAF, which leads to the lean condition, since the engine only add fuel for the air that the MAF sees.
I never looked at it that way, but it makes complete sense. Thanks. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts