TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive found that my tb has 2 tfi modules one on radiator support and one on the distributor

ive looked at the pnp at 5.0 tb's same year an non had 2 like mine just the one on the support. why would mine have 2 :confused:

·
̇
3,701 Posts
That is odd..I would guess your distributor has been changed at some point with an early 5.0 mustang replacement distributor..

Can I see a pic of your distributor w/tfi module attached..

Rayo..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
factory dist died when my friend had the car replaced with kragen plug'n'play replacement but the factory dist had the tfi on it.i didnt know of the one on the support till i pulled the front bumper to replace the header panel there bolth factory wired from what i can tell

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I agree with Rayo. Its probably been switched at some point in its life

·
̇
3,701 Posts
87fubar said:
would an engine harness other then mn12 work

Possibly..

You would need an EVTM for your 91 Thunderbird, and also an EVTM for the Donor harness vehicle..If you're interested in doing some re-wiring..

If you find that half of your gauges work, and half of them don't..

Also if you have issues with the way your car runs..There's always the possibility someone swapped engines/harness at one point or another..

:zdunno:

I'd like to see some pics of your engine bay..In particular..The Distributor/TFI Module..

Rayo..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it dosnt run bad at all its never failed to start for me othere then before i got the the car distributor died then right before i got it dead battery was factory battery

ill try to get pics of the engine bay asap

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
would an engine harness other then mn12 work
Im not understanding what your wanting to do. Are you going to rewire your car?

I would trace wiring back from each one. I bet one of them isnt hooked up. Its definitly not factory

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I also 2nd Rayo's opinion - either the distributor or entire engine has been changed at some point.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
was wondering if it possibly would have ben easy for someone to swap engine harnesses

they bolth look factory wraped an that wire conduit stuff is brittle just like it was behind the dash

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
was wondering if it possibly would have ben easy for someone to swap engine harnesses

they bolth look factory wraped an that wire conduit stuff is brittle just like it was behind the dash
Picture of the distributor please. :tongue:

Its not Normal to replace an engine harness but who knows ..

The TFI module on the firewall is a later design and way more reliable - the ones on the distributor had a very high failure rate.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Picture of the distributor please. :tongue:

Its not Normal to replace an engine harness but who knows ..

The TFI module on the firewall is a later design and way more reliable - the ones on the distributor had a very high failure rate.
I can't tell you how many of the distributor mounted TFI's we've changed on Ford 6-cylinder pick-ups! Also, the same vehicles we've changed multiple times. There are two basic designs usually black and grey (they are different) and I've personally replaced hundreds...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts