TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if i could bolt up a 88-91 5.0 aod mustang up to my coug. I work at advance auto parts and the part numbers are different but ive read u could use either. thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
The mustang trans would be fine. It actually might be a bit stronger, but I'm not sure. The crown vic trans would bolt up, but it might be the weak version like behind the 3.8s cause the vic was only rated at like 150hp back then.

Mike

PS I still have that AOD and 3000rpm converter from my 91 5.0 cougar if you want them.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
did they use AOD's all the way through the fox body or did they switch to AODE at one point? like 92 when some of the other cars got them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
all V8 AOD's are the same internally. V6 AOD's get one less clutch in the direct and forward drums because the motor makes less torque. AOD's behind HO equipped cars got a High speed shift govenor, rated at 4800 rpm, non-HO AOD's got a low speed govenor rated at 4200 rpm, trucks got a medium speed govenor rated at 4500 rpm.

the only other difference is the shift levers, floor shift cars got a different shifter lever than column shift cars/trucks. you can easily swap shifter levers.

Town cars, mark 7's and most trucks got a 1.5" longer out put shaft and extension housing, these will NOT work in a passenger car unless you modify the driveshaft or swap out the correct output shaft, which requires pulling the trans apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts