TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sleeper Foxbody

I have a 94 Cougar as my cruiser ride and I drive a busted up old dodge ram as my every day work ride. This summer when I have more cash flow I'm thinking of getting a fox thunderbird to build a sleeper to eat up some of the rice thats hanging out around here. I plan on rebuilding a 5.0 or going to a 351 and dropping in a toploader 4 speed that I have, with either an 8.8 or a 9 inch taking care of the rear end. primer grey, steel wheels, gutted interior and a fiberglass cowl hood. What do you guys think about that? Anything I should know in advance about technical problems with the stock car 83-88 tbird before I begin? Thanks alot.

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
A fox would be very easy to build as almost all of the mustang parts will bolt on. I say build a 351 based stroker for it and you should be able to stomp just about anything you want to. For the rear, an 8.8 is what it came with, and it will hold up just as well as a 9", so you might as well stay with that. Only thing I don't like about your plan is the 4-speed. Overdrive is nice, and you can get 5 and 6 speeds that will take plenty of power, and that way you can run some steeper rear gears and still be able to drive on the highway.

Mike

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
do a 87-88 cat they look mean!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
i love the idea of "Now, they sit in my garage as "before and after" versions of each other. Even better."

thats cool

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Build up??

Hello

Are you building this car as a toy? Quick line to line & some strip use?
Or are you building a top speed car?

If Quick line to line I would do a 330 or 347(302base) stroker, Aftermarket heads are a must! + 5.5 triple disc clutch, upgrade to the 8.8 rear end with some 3.73 0r 4.10's +

If top speed i would go with the 393(351Wbase) stroker

Quick on a 1/8 mile, Top speed on a 1/4 mile.

I have a 85 coupe, 302, C4 & 3.45 (7.5") rear.
Put on back burner for my 90 & 96 Oval track Thunderbirds.

My 85 was cut up when i got it. So i have a carb on it. Hoping to go with my 306 at 10to1, RUG 4speed(3+1) 3.73 t-lock gears. I have a Edelbrock matching intake + 4bbl. carb. & some headman headers.
Well its a start.

Paul

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's going to be a toy, something I can play around with when I'm bored thats relatively easy to maintain, that makes good enough power so I can whoop on some of the guys around here. I'm going 4 speed toploader because this car is strictly around town driving and I already have a toploader in the shed, might as well put it to use. She'd be set up to go fast in a straight line and thats about it. The way I like it.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
too bad you live in PA... a friend of mine is getting ready to sell his 87 cougar for 550. has teh 3.8 in it. paint and interior is a little rough.. but you plan on changing all that.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
heh.. dont the fox bodies have the IRS also?

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Too bad you are in PA. My daughter in SoCal is thinking about selling her 88 Bird. The 3.8 is still running strong, and the interior is still VG. It does need paint and some rust repair, but no rust throughs.

If I didn't need my cash to upgrad my Bird, I'd buy hers and dump a 302 in it, a C6 with a gear vendors unit on it. I'd be able to eat GTPs for lunch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would definitely go with a 83-86 tbird, love the four eyes.
Use a rear end out of a 87-88 Turbocoupe that has a automatic.
It is already a 8.8 Trac-Lok with 3.73's

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
351W, 5 speed would be pimp....theres a neighbor around the block from me...he's got an 87-88 turbo coupe with a healthy 351W/5 speed. All under the stock hood...quiet exhaust, stock wheels....Mustang eater!!

I'm trying to buy it from him.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I used to own a dark red `83 t-bird myself, had the 302 in it. They are badass looking cars and many of the mustang bolt-ons work with them. They already have the 8.8 rear end in them and I used to leave burnouts allover town in mine. At one time I was thinking about getting a 351 Windsor out of a 91 or 92 crown victoria police interceptor but the guy wanted too much.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Turbo 302??

Hello

I hate when people call there cars that were converted from I-4 Turbo to V8.

I have only seen 2 that still had turbo's still in them. Infact 1 was a twin turbo.

Mine is a 85 Coupe, 306, C4 & the stock 4 link L3.45 7.5 rear end. I just picked up an Edelbrock intake & Matching carb. Looking to convert to a 3+1 Manual RUG trany & 3.73 gears.

It needs to be OVERHAULED. Been off the road for many Years. Put on back burner for my 90 & now 96, 1/2mile Oval track Cars.

PAUL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts