TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried searching the forums but couldn't find an answer to some my questions..
Well while I was at the local junk yard, I spotted an 87-88 Cougar.. popped the hood and I saw a super clean looking 5.0 inside.. I would like to put it into my 91 Cougar, was hoping to put on HO heads and maybe some other things, still debating. I would like to keep it fuel injected and maybe use another performance PCM from say.. a Mustang but since this motor is from a fox body, not an MN12 like I was hoping can someone help me out on this matter of compatibility?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know it will fit, well might have to make a little more room for the intake (either the taller stock fox intake or Cobra intake :D) by putting on a bubble hood but I would like to stay with the fuel injection. I feel I have the ability to do this swap but I'm just not 100% sure about the computer stuff. I would THINK that almost any 5.0 PCM would work (correct me if I am wrong, please). If anyone has swapped a 5.0 from a fox body to an MN12 please help me on this one. Any PCM savvy people would be great input too. Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This Friday I hope to being going back to that junkyard again with a motorcycle 12 volt battery with 14 gauge test leads then turn the key to KOEO and hopefully the digital dash will tell me the miles on its 5.0L V8 :D. I was also thinking of using that same battery with those same test leads and maybe a couple paper clips to test some '92 and up TBird rear LED lights. I would like to do like another fellow member did with the '91-'93 Cougar reflector bars and install the LEDs from the TBird rear assembly. Should I have any issues with either plan?

·
Registered
477 Posts
To be honest i dont know of any boneyard that will let you take in a battery. If your going to Harrys-U-Pull-It then definatly not. In addition the pcm and harnass should be the same. I looked breaifly at the Probst book and i cant see any real difference. If i remeber right though the tbird ecm was a better tune then any of the mustang stuff so it wouldn't be worth it. I am not 100% sure on this maybe someone with a 5.0l can chime in.

Will

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The yard I go to the guys know us and its cool. I shouldn't have too much of a wiring nightmare then right? The only thing that may need rewiring is the dash because the Cougar in the yard is a Digital Dash where I have the Sport Analog Cluster(rare for a 91 LS with a 3.8). Are you saying the harness for the Fox and early MN12 is basically the same? Or.. ?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
All the same issues as far as oil pan, timing cover, intake height, exhaust manifolds, etc. that would apply to a Fox Mustang swap to an MN-12, would apply here.

The Cougar engine would be a non-HO with different pistons, cam, heads, upper intake, etc., compared to an HO Mustang.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
859 Posts
All the same issues as far as oil pan, timing cover, intake height, exhaust manifolds, etc. that would apply to a Fox Mustang swap to an MN-12, would apply here.

The Cougar engine would be a non-HO with different pistons, cam, heads, upper intake, etc., compared to an HO Mustang.

cheers
Ed N.
Also, if I remember correctly, the Standard Output they put in the Fox Cougars and Birds have a different firing order.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would you recommend I do not use this engine?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Firing order

Also, if I remember correctly, the Standard Output they put in the Fox Cougars and Birds have a different firing order.
Standard 302 is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
302 HO is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

That can be overcome by changing to a non-HO cam or by re-wiring the injectors to the other firing order and changing the wires on the distributor to the correct firing order.... mix-match stuff isn't a big deal but it's the details that make it all work correctly.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ok everybody lay theirs on the line then ill chime in . lots info here.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
On the intake manifold issue, I would forget about using a fox manifold. You'll run into plenty of issues with EGR routing, throttle/cruise/kickdown linkage as well I believe, and the height issue may get you as well. Either use a base 5.0l intake manifold with the built in elbow (ie MN12 or '94/'95 mustang), a '94/'95 Cobra intake manifold, or one of the aftermarket manifolds with an adapter elbow.

With anything other than the stock 5.0l MN12-'94/'95 Mustang intake manifold, you will have hood clearance issues. And to further stack the chips against you, I believe the 5.0l cougars have slightly less hood clearance than the 5.0l T-birds

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ok, first off, unless your going to plan an engine build before you put this engine in the car, dont bother with a so 5.0 , yes does it have potential? yes but not in stock form . you will need to make any 5.0 run in your car and stay efi a minimal of the 5.0 control harness and engine dress harness. you will need a mn12 5.0 fuel rail and front fuel lines, you will need the 5.0 power steering lines, exahust, manifolds, engine mount brackets , or at least the upper plates. you can reuse your aod, but dont expect it to last long, youll need all the ac lines if you want to keep ac , you need the alternator and powersteering brackets. off a 5.0 mn12 or sn95 mustang, the stock 5.0 upper and lower manifolds, or what ever intake to your liking that will fit , that is meant for a sn95 stang. the short front engine cover, water pump. fan shroud and fan. fuel pump. smog componets if you have to pass. the vaccum harness for the 5.0 mn12 (makes life easier) you need the right pcm or a compatible pcm. throttle and cruise control cables, tv cable . and thats just a start, i have done this swap , so , be ready and youll find youll still forgett hings. but the 5.0 s.o. is a not what you want. you need to find a donor ho , preferably a mn12 5.0 .why have to mess around withthe fore mentioned bs to run a wrong engine in a wrong application. why would you want to go to a power robbing s.o firing order when what you want is attainable . justin

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be honest I would much rather swap from a 5.0 HO donor '91-'93 MN12 but all of the MN12s in the bone yards around me are all 3.8 N/As... I appriciate all your info guys, helps me alot on this decision. Seems its too much of a PITA to get it working well in our cars.. a Lincoln Mark VII LSC wouldn't be much easier I would think (Couple at that yard..). Seems sad to have to get a perfectly fine 5.0 HO MN12 then ruin it by taking out the engine and then sending it to the bone yard.. I do not want to get rid of this Cougar JUST because the engine sucks, the car has tons of options and no rust on the underneath plus shes got such a hold on me.

·
Super Moderator
8,293 Posts
If you do decide to do this swap, I have a stock MN12 style intake and stock exhaust manifolds that you can have for free if you come to NJ and get them. I think I also have a set of E7 heads sitting in the garage somewhere that you can take if you want. I think the 87-88 fox cougars already had the E7 castings on them, but I'm not sure. In any case you can have the stuff if you want it.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,293 Posts
Also I just remembered, a while back a guy in north jersey (JSGAuto) had a complete 5.0 out of a 91 tbird that he was selling, and last I heard he still hadn't found a buyer so you might want to send him a PM and ask if he still has the motor available.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a ton man for the info and the previous offer!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
todds got one outa a 1993 5.0 car as well for sale our il director

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If JSGAuto doesn't still have the engine I would consider it.. my only concern is the vast distance and the shipping price for that vast distance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunatly JSGAuto sold the motor.. anyone near me have an 89-93 MN12 5.0 HO V8 for sale, haha.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.