TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watchin Horsepower TV the other day on Spike TV and noticed they recommended Fram Racing Oil filters due to it being built slightly sturdier than regular oil filters (stronger and supposedly better built).

Anyone agree with the recommendation? Right now I use a regular Fram filter...

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
For as long as I've owned a car, I've always used Fram Extra Guard filters with no complaints. I can't say I've ever heard anything bad about any Fram products, so what the hell.. pick one up and see if you like it. Post your findings :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
I was doing research, coincidentally, just now on these boards. Do a search for Fram Filters and you will get your answer. To save you the time, it has been written on these boards that the Frams tend to break apart easier/faster than other filters. Motorcraft and Purolator are easily the highest recommended filters on this site... But then again, whats the worst that can happen :)

Sam

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I know lots of people here are dead set against Fram. "Only use Motorcraft." Well, that may be true but I've run a regular Fram filter in mine 90% of the time with no problems.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
with a couple exceptions, the only thing that matters is that it has an anti-drain back valve. Fram does not.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I am going to perform a test for my own sake. I purchased a Fram last night cause Checkers was out of K&N and penzoil filters so all they had was Fram. I bought the XG series (extended guard?). Was ten dollars. I am going to put it on there with the oil change and then keep the filter. Next I will put a motorcraft on and then I will cut the 2 open and see what they look like. Won't prove anything, but it will make a big mess and be somewhat entertaining while I am doing it.

Sam

·
Registered
384 Posts
I used a Fram oil filter one time and I will not use one again. It didn't even last 3,000 miles before the insides were all broken up. You could shake the filter and you could hear everything rattling/shaking inside. I didn't cut it open though. I should have....

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
slayer said:
Won't prove anything, but it will make a big mess and be somewhat entertaining while I am doing it.

Sam
Ah, but it will prove something! That Motorcraft makes a superior filter. For your third test I'd recommend a Wix (Silver or Gold) Filter, available at NAPA, among other places. This is the grandaddy of them all, the Gold especially. You will see a huge difference between a regular crap Fram and a Wix Gold!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I used Fram most of the time, until I saw the response of most of the people who post on here. I changed my oil yesterday, and used a Motorcraft filter. I'll let you know in a few months if I notice any difference. By the way, I never had any problems with the Fram filters, but figured that all else being the same I'd like the Motorcraft because of the one way valve.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Frams are junk. Motorcraft, mopar, ac delco, purolator, even walmart's supertech are all superior. Frams are made out of a cheap paper, dont have a drain back valve and are built like crap.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Why does everyone keep saying fram doesn't have an anti-drain back valve when they do have them??

GreenBird said:
with a couple exceptions, the only thing that matters is that it has an anti-drain back valve. Fram does not.

·
Registered
154 Posts
whats the worst that can happen :)
My uncles BBC lost oil pressure one time from a clogged oil filter everyone fell apart on the inside of the filter and motorcraft are good filters is what i always use but the wix is definitely the best off the shelf

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm.. I can't remember if I used Fram or not... I'm positive my grandfather uses Fram in his LeSabre... It was so long ago when I did the oil change (changed car to synth that day too!). I actually think it's Motorcraft... Oh well. I'll check when I get time.. (this weekend)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Never had a problem with fram and I dog the living crap out of all my cars, usually. Fram does have an anti drainback valve. They started this like 5 yrs ago I think. I have nothing personal against fram. Although, I do use motorcraft on occasion.
-Rob

·
Registered
987 Posts
WIX gold as the third test... I'll see exactly what the difference is after usage...

Sam

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I used a Fram once on my car, but the I read the posts on here about Fram being bad. Well, I didn't necessarily switch to just Motorcraft because of the bad stuff said about Fram, but because the Motorcraft filters are about $2 cheaper at Wally World.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It may interst you to know these supply chain facts:

1. Motocraft filters USED TO BE made by PUROLATOR.

2. The new contract (2004) for Ford filters (oil, and air ...don't know about fuel) was awarded to Allied Signal (i.e. FRAM).

3. Some Fram filters have about 30 pleats in the paper filter. Purolator has 59 (no, not 60...59).

4. Will the Allied-Signal (i.e. FRAM) product meet Ford specs (59 pleats), or did Ford cheap-out and re-spec the filter?

My guess---Ford cheaped-out.

Glenn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts