TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, finally have the whole front end off down to the rad. support and the 2 frame parts that the metal bumper support attaches to. My question is, since the drivers' side mount is mashed, but the pass. side is ok, would it be better/cheaper/safer to just cut the drivers side crumplezone off where it is mashed, and then just weld a new section on to replace it, or would it be better to spend the time/money to have it pulled on a machine at a shop?

In my eyes, even if it can be pulled back into shape again, it has been severely weakened and will NEVER be as strong as it was from the factory. I could accompish this strength by the cutting/replacing/rewelding method, but not sure if that's the best idea. If anyone has delt w/ this before, please share your thoughts/experience. I really want to get this done so I can start working on the rad. support, but can't until the frame mount is out of the way.

Jay

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Honestly, I would not spend the time or effort to make that major of a repair on a 95 T'Bird. By the time you factor in your labor, you are well over what it would cost to purchase another MN12. But that is just my opinion.

And with that said, to answer your question, I would say the welding is the route to go. I agree that the metal has lost it's strenght due to the bending. But I am not a body man and you might want to talk to a few body shops to see what they say.

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your imput. Yea, I could see buying a new one, but since I know the history of this car, the maint., and all that has happened to it, I really don't want to take on another car payment just to have to do it all over again and guess as to what will break next.

Besides, I like the TA paint code :D

I guess I will be doing the cut/weld thing. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense- from a money standpoint and a strength standpoint. I don't care about my labor, it's just time. Being out in the garage doing this stuff is actually my way of relaxing, so judging by the work I need to do to get this back the way I want it, I will be the most relaxed mofo you guys have ever seen, lol....

Jay

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Invest in half a dozen or so plumb bobs and get the frame specs and you should be good to go. :thumbsup:

Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts