TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this deal on free motor oil after a mail-in rebate. It looks like it's sold through Wal-Mart, and it's a newer company that makes motor oil from beef tallow and "nanotechnology."

The brand is Green Earth Technologies, and it's 5W-30 full synthetic. It's API-SM rated, which makes it at least more trustworthy than Amsoil :)

I've never used it before, but I'll be giving it a go this weekend. It's pretty well reviewed on Amazon, too, so it's probably a good deal for the price of $0.

Coupon/Mail-in Rebate
http://www.getg.com/campaigns/request.php?cID=cad110407

Amazon's reviews
http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B002CP9426/

Cheers!

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I wouldn't try it until someone proves straight up that it is just as good as Motorcraft oil at the strip and in the long run.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Maybe I'm just old school, I know I'm 21 lol, but when I see something that's "green" this and "green" that, I tend to doubt it's effectiveness. Most of those reviews were by people driving 4 cylinder econo-boxes and most likely can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad to see there's some interest. I have the same gut feeling as many of you. Still, I trust the API-SM rating. I feel like more than anything, I'm putting that API seal to the test. This oil should be the same as any other full-synth API-SM certified oil, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to do an oil change tomorrow, and I'll report back here with my results. I won't be taking the car to the track anytime soon, but I will pay attention to how the oil performs long-run in mixed city/highway use. I won't be sending it in for oil analysis, either, but I'll let you know how it looks and runs between changes.

One concern I have is a lot of the hippie commenters on Amazon commented on how clean the oil stays. Their Priuses should create the same sludge that you see in any engine's crankcase--those cars don't run on giggles and unicorn farts. The lack of filth build-up in the oil could indicate that there aren't a whole lot of detergents, so until this runs in cars for a decade or two without severe degradation, I won't use it consistently. Still, it's worth the cost of free, and it's probably harmless to use for 6 months.

As for a baseline, I've got an excellent car to experiment with. I've had it for a year (as of last week!), and I burn less than a pint of oil per change. That's for two separate changes, using an API-certified full-synthetic for about 6 months and 3000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Maybe I'm just old school, I know I'm 21 lol, but when I see something that's "green" this and "green" that, I tend to doubt it's effectiveness. Most of those reviews were by people driving 4 cylinder econo-boxes and most likely can't tell the difference.
Agreed. These days "Green" is rapidly becoming "snake oil" in my view.

And people still buy parrifin base oils... :facepalm:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Still, I trust the API-SM rating. I feel like more than anything, I'm putting that API seal to the test. This oil should be the same as any other full-synth API-SM certified oil, as far as I'm concerned.
I would feel the same way, considering that it does meet certain specifications. Let us know what you find out as far as oil usage/mileage. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Valvoline is putting out a new line of recycled oil so that also seems to be a step in the right direction to help get us away from foreign oil dependency, and less waste.
I saw that recycled Valvoline oil recently. Now that scares me more than oil made of beef tallow. Still, I'd be willing to try it once.

Anyway, sorry guys. I didn't get around to the oil today. I was working on my rear brakes--did you guys know that our rear (disk) brake calipers compress by turning, not by being pressed straight in? It took me 4 hours to figure that one out, after removing the calipers and going to Autozone to get new ones.

Expect meaningful news tomorrow. I'll change oil, update here, and then head straight to the hot tub.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I would do one oil change with regular dino oil, take a sample and have it analized, then do the same with this recycled oil and see what the differences are. Ilbet dino is far superior to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blackstone (or equivalent) or STFU...and happy Easter :D
:D We'll see about that. I might actually be interested enough to send it in. I imagine the results wouldn't be too remarkable, though it would be interesting nevertheless.

As for the oil, it looked and felt normal. Smelled normal. I didn't taste it, but I imagine it would taste normal. I ran the car for 10 minutes after the oil change, and it didn't seem to care that it was lubricating itself with rendered cow bits. I'd say, at least nominally, that this is safe to use.

A picture of a capful of rendered cow bits:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts