TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone out there makes a windshield with the frenched radio antenna in it for a 94 bird. i'm just not a fan of the eye sore that is our antenna. another option i considered was a power antenna that had the motor power wire hooked into a manual switch so the antenna is down all the time until i hit the switch. thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet i didn't know any of them ever came like that, all i've ever seen were one's that were hardwired to the ignition

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Some guy on eBay sells all manner of use Ford switches and had some nice looking factory power antenna switches. Much nicer then the ones the early mn12's had in them plus they had a lip to cover the edge of the hole you cut out for it. I think it was a Mark switch.

I'll let you know who it is if I remember to check while on eBay.

Most decent stereos will only deploy the power antenna when the stereos on am/fm. At least my Alpines kept it down if a CD was playing. The cheapo Jensen Stereo/CD/mp3 player I'm using at the moment deploys the damned thing anytime the stereo's on so I need to put a discreet switch somewhere. I rarely listen to the radio... I'll hook it up so I have to manually deploy it but it'll auto retract when the cars shut off. That's if the power antenna doesn't already do that little trick itself, not sure yet.

·
The Parts Guy
7,308 Posts
Just a little info on the topic:

If you're using a factory power antenna, you'll have to reverse the polarity to raise/lower the antenna mast, meaning that a regular old toggle switch won't work.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would a three way toggle do it? by that i mean one that neutral is a middle position then you can go either direction with it?

·
The Parts Guy
7,308 Posts
coggonobrien said:
would a three way toggle do it? by that i mean one that neutral is a middle position then you can go either direction with it?
Nope. You need a switch, like the factory style switch, which reverses the polarity for up/down. The antenna has two wires going to the motor. To raise the antenna, you have to supply 12V to one wire and ground the other, and vice versa to lower the antenna.

-Rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts