TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking my kid to baseball practice tonight and was pulled over within 50 feet of my driveway by our 2 week new city cop for not wearing my seatbelt. Literally, I pulled out of my driveway, turned left, saw him pass me, then he turned around and pulled me over all within a block. Needless to say I'm pissed, but for a few reasons:

1. The chime that reminds you that you aren't wearing your seatbelt hadn't even gone off yet. I had no chance to be reminded that I forgot it!

2. He asked me if the address was correct on my license and I stated yes, that he'd pulled me over almost in front of my house. I also told him who I am, what I do for a living, and that my wife works for the county circuit clerk. Usually here in small town USA that makes a difference, it had for me in the past. Not this time.

3. Since my wife works for the circuit clerk, I called one of her co-workers who deals with traffic citations all day long. She told me I could go to court and try to fight it/ask for supervision but I would still have to pay court costs of $140. Doesn't make sense when the ticket is $55. So, basically the system is rigged so you would be an idiot to take a small ticket to court, even if you're innocent (not saying I am). She told me the best chance I have to fight it was to talk to the police chief (who I know pretty well) and explain what happened and see if he might be willing to ask the state's attorney to drop the charges. I'll be doing this tomorrow.

4. Talking to other people in town, they too have expressed displeasure in seeing many more people being pulled over the past couple weeks than what is normal in our little town. I think he's taking his job a bit too seriously! Probably doesn't help that his father used to be police chief in our county seat, Dixon.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
We recently had a county sheriff voted out basically for people over for every little thing. Until very recently, no seat belt was a secondary offense in VT.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The guy was just doing his job.Can't be mad at that.

Good luck in your efforts.

Lesson learned?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
dude that sucks. we got a new cop here in palmetto a few months ago and he gave me a ticket recently for doing 37 in a 35 zone.. good thing my moms boyfriend is the cheif fire inspector and has really good connections :thumbsup: you gotta hate those new cops. hell realize people dont like him and maybe that stick in his ass will shorten a little bit heh? we can only hope :D

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really need to say in my "defense" that I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt. I have three small kids and I'm a real seatbelt enforcer. I've seen plenty of corpses that weren't wearing seatbelts. The thing that gets me mad is yes, I forgot to buckle right when I started the car, but if I was driving another 5 or 10 seconds, I would've heard the reminder chime and then buckled. He just saw me at the worst possible time.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Currently here in MO they can't pull you over for no seat belt. They have to pull you over for another moving violation and then they can write you a ticket. And ten it's only $20.

I know because the wife got one about 1-1/2 years ago. She never wears hers.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
its time for tinted, black. so black that they cant see inside! i never have this issue with my f150

·
Registered
414 Posts
well, since I am a cop, I'll chime in. NO state is allowed to issue citations for seatbelt violations as a primary offense. Meaning, if thats the only thing your doing 'wrong' then we cannot pull you over. Now, if your speeding (primary) and I see you not wearing a seat belt, it's my discression wether or not to issue a citation.

Personally, I could give two sh*ts' less about an adult wearing a seat belt. Your an adult and you know the pros/cons for wearing one. Kids...no question. They are not buckled up, and you get a ticket. Or your an ass to me, you get a ticket.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you don't need your seatbelt on, you aren't driving hard enough :D

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, since I am a cop, I'll chime in. NO state is allowed to issue citations for seatbelt violations as a primary offense. Meaning, if thats the only thing your doing 'wrong' then we cannot pull you over. Now, if your speeding (primary) and I see you not wearing a seat belt, it's my discression wether or not to issue a citation.

Personally, I could give two sh*ts' less about an adult wearing a seat belt. Your an adult and you know the pros/cons for wearing one. Kids...no question. They are not buckled up, and you get a ticket. Or your an ass to me, you get a ticket.
Sorry, officer. Here in Illinois you can get pulled over for no seatbelt without any other infractions. Heck, you can get pulled over if your passenger isn't wearing one and be ticketed for it. I was stopped at an intersection in front of my house doing nothing else but waiting for traffic to go by.

Police in Illinois systematically enforced the seat-belt law last year, Stout says. Police set up thousands of "safety belt enforcement zones," in which one or two officers watched whether motorists were wearing seat belts. "If they're unbuckled, the officers pull them over or radio a car sitting up ahead and have it pull them over," he says. Police issued more than 58,000 citations in May for seat-belt and child safety seat violations, says Matt Vanover, a spokesman for the Illinois Department of Transportation.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts

guess you haven't been to Texas then..

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
i had my seatbelt ON and still got a fckin ticket!!!! it was $10 so i just paid it, rather than fight with the cop. i did argue for like 20min when he pulled me over though. i ALWAYS wear my seatbelt. it's habit and i never even think about it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sorry, officer. Here in Illinois you can get pulled over for no seatbelt without any other infractions. Heck, you can get pulled over if your passenger isn't wearing one and be ticketed for it. I was stopped at an intersection in front of my house doing nothing else but waiting for traffic to go by.
the other quote from you post doesn't come up but basically...thats a planned/coordinated enforcement measure. The same as when they put 'all your eggs in one basket' and run radar on a stretch of road all day or do a massive DUI check near a lake or something similar where there is a reported history of DUI drivers.

As for the passenger bit, yes...but more states classify that as a failure to ensure safety of passengers or responsible driving habits...etc etc. depends on your state and how the law was written.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts