TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks i was wondering if the 95 SC would be a good trade coming from a new 5 series I love the MN12s and I had a 97 V8 and miss it dearly. This seller has a back 95 and I was curious are these cars prone to HG problems? And how reliable are they as I plan on this being a project daily thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I cannot comment on reliability of the SC specifically; however, the move from a brand new car to an MN12 is something I have done myself.

I have owned eleven new cars of varying brands model years 2006 through 2021. After Covid and subsequent life changes, I reevaluated my wants and needs, automotive and otherwise, and purchased a '97 Thunderbird this past March. It has since been my daily driver.

In terms of "joy per dollar", this is the best car I've ever owned. My fuel consumption has almost doubled, but I only drive a limited number of miles, and other costs (e.g., purchase, insurance) are much lower than with any previous car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot comment on reliability of the SC specifically; however, the move from a brand new car to an MN12 is something I have done myself.

I have owned eleven new cars of varying brands model years 2006 through 2021. After Covid and subsequent life changes, I reevaluated my wants and needs, automotive and otherwise, and purchased a '97 Thunderbird this past March. It has since been my daily driver.

In terms of "joy per dollar", this is the best car I've ever owned. My fuel consumption has almost doubled, but I only drive a limited number of miles, and other costs (e.g., purchase, insurance) are much lower than with any previous car.
Awesome..yeah I thought I was a nut for down grading lol but as I thought about it more it’s a 95 SC and I hardly ever see those and like you said I really enjoy these cars.

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,299 Posts
The SCs are probably the least reliable of any of the MN12s, early 3.8s included, just because of their complexity and the nature of FI vs. NA. The head gaskets go, there are electrical issues and they are the most expensive and difficult to find parts for.

You can DD one, sure, but make sure it's not your only DD. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,383 Posts
Head gaskets definitely are an issue on SCs, more so than the regular 3.8s. The 94/95 SC was a little more reliable than the 89-93 ones, and they have fewer proprietary parts that are hard to find than the earlier ones. If well maintained, they can be pretty reliable, and I have a 90XR7 that I drive pretty regularly and wouldn’t hesitate to drive anywhere, but I probably wouldn’t want one for my only car. If you want one as a primary vehicle, a 4.6 car is a much better choice. If you want a fun rare cool nice weather cruiser, and are going to have something else as a daily, then the SC will fit that bill much better.

Reactions: 1RedTBird

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Head gaskets definitely are an issue on SCs, more so than the regular 3.8s. The 94/95 SC was a little more reliable than the 89-93 ones, and they have fewer proprietary parts that are hard to find than the earlier ones. If well maintained, they can be pretty reliable, and I have a 90XR7 that I drive pretty regularly and wouldn’t hesitate to drive anywhere, but I probably wouldn’t want one for my only car. If you want one as a primary vehicle, a 4.6 car is a much better choice. If you want a fun rare cool nice weather cruiser, and are going to have something else as a daily, then the SC will fit that bill much better.
Yeah I guess I would be probably my main daily but I guess since it’s a SC any repair for it in my mind would be worth it because I hardly see any SCs or the road or even for sale

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,787 Posts
I agree with all the advice already posted. All I'd add is that if you get this car then you have to really learn the car. At this point there are things about the SC that not many people understand outside TCCOA and SCCOA. So buying the Ford shop manuals and doing research here, and doing as much of the repair and maintenance yourself really helps.
The 95 SC auto has he 4r70w trans which is definitely better than the AOD from the earlier cars. Better supercharger. You just need to get up to speed on how things go with the cars and you can be alright.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,713 Posts
Depending on where you are don't forget about rust, both in buying the car and driving it in the winter, 95s are a little better than earlier SCs but these cars are very vulnerable and SCs with their big side skirts will hide some severe stuff until one day they fall off because they have nothing left to screw/clip to.

If I had to pick a SC to DD a 95 would be my pick though, head gaskets are the main thing to watch out for on them but for the most part they're as dependable as LXs, and you never have to worry about the ABS system failing that put a lot of earlier ones out of commission, same with the 4R70w (not that the 95 version is spectacular but it's still way better than the AOD)

I'd rather deal with the woes of a SC than a BMW though, at least parts are relatively cheap, sourcable or retrofittable

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depending on where you are don't forget about rust, both in buying the car and driving it in the winter, 95s are a little better than earlier SCs but these cars are very vulnerable and SCs with their big side skirts will hide some severe stuff until one day they fall off because they have nothing left to screw/clip to.

If I had to pick a SC to DD a 95 would be my pick though, head gaskets are the main thing to watch out for on them but for the most part they're as dependable as LXs, and you never have to worry about the ABS system failing that put a lot of earlier ones out of commission, same with the 4R70w (not that the 95 version is spectacular but it's still way better than the AOD)

I'd rather deal with the woes of a SC than a BMW though, at least parts are relatively cheap, sourcable or retrofittable
I appreciate that thank you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with all the advice already posted. All I'd add is that if you get this car then you have to really learn the car. At this point there are things about the SC that not many people understand outside TCCOA and SCCOA. So buying the Ford shop manuals and doing research here, and doing as much of the repair and maintenance yourself really helps.
The 95 SC auto has he 4r70w trans which is definitely better than the AOD from the earlier cars. Better supercharger. You just need to get up to speed on how things go with the cars and you can be alright.
I agree with you, I definitely will thank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts