TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Ever since I bought my Cougar, the 4 mounts that hold the plastic bumper to the frame under the front end have been busted off. Not a biggy except when I use my fog lights. (see pics)

I have a few ideas of what to use to remount the bumper to the frame, but would like some feedback on what others have done. Here are some of my thoughts:
1) Glue (JB Weld - E6000 glue) plastic to the broken areas of the bumper where the mounts once where (to replace them) and use metal L brackets to mount the plastic to the frame under the radiator.
2) Using a plastic trash can, cut out and mold an L shape bar to glue to the bumper (or heat weld the plastic) and mount the other end of the L piece to the frame with the push pins as originally done. (The L bracket would encompass the length of the bumper that mounted to the frame.)
4) Make L brackets from plastic to mount to the bumper and the frame at the 4 main mount locations. These would be individual pieces for each of the 4 mounting locations.

Any thoughts on this fix would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Home Depot sells a bar that has holes drilled every inch or so. Get some of that, cut it and bend it and drill a hole in the bumper so that you can attach the metal to the bumper with a nut and bolt, and so that another hole in the metal lines up with the hole in the lower rad support so you can re-attach it with some new clips.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Home Depot sells a bar that has holes drilled every inch or so. Get some of that, cut it and bend it and drill a hole in the bumper so that you can attach the metal to the bumper with a nut and bolt, and so that another hole in the metal lines up with the hole in the lower rad support so you can re-attach it with some new clips.
Hi Mike,
I have some of the bars at home, but did not think of using them because they don't fit the curvature of the bumper. But I will give it try and see if the bumper will bend with the straightness of the bar. Nice idea! Thanks Mike!

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
I actually meant bend the bar to match the curvature of the bumper, but either way.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

Hi everyone,
Sorry, wife had to go into the hospital 3 weeks ago and she is just starting to feel better.

So I got around to washing and working on the Cougar. I pulled several pieces of my galvanized perforated Angle brackets out of the shed and decided on a 16" piece that covered two holes from the bumper and under mount. I used the plastic push fasteners to hold it in place and it is pretty tight now. I did have to flatten it some to about a 120 deg angle instead of 90 deg to it would lay flatter on the plasitc bumper. I also found that the angle piece from the bottom of the bumper to the lower front grill was missing. I found it in a parts box and put it back in with fasteners as well.

Should hold pretty well for a long time.

... or until I hit a concrete parking barrior in the parking lot.

Thanks MadMike for the suggestion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts