TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else cut open their '91 Thunderbird bumper?(Mine is a '91 3.8) I'm getting ready to open it up a little bit. My 4.6 DOHC needs a little more air....plus I want it open for looks lol. Since going from a 3.8 to a 4.6 dohc it just makes since that I need a little more air going into the engine. The Mark Vlll has an open grill but my bird does not. I know I do not REALLY need to do this but I have wanted to cut my bumper before I did this swap...would like to see some pics of other birds that have done this. My plan is to only cut a box to the right and left of the License plate...just open up the bumper where the "fins" are.Who's done it?

Chris C.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,502 Posts
Any reason you would be averse to putting on a SC/92-93 LX style front bumper?

The air going through the grille is actually pretty negligible, they're basically ornamental on Mark VIIIs and Cougars for that matter. The vast majority of airflow to the radiator on these cars comes through the ducts on the bottom of the bumper cover. SCs use a small air dam to direct more air into them, others have used modified Grand Am ones to do the same and then some.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Im not sure .. it sounds like it would look like a hack job. I dont know of anybody who has done this, and I cant really picture what youre trying to explain.

Your DOHC doesnt necessarily "need" more air - the Marks use a variable rate fan to change the air flow based on driving conditions.

The fan pulls air through the radiator and AC condensor - so unless youre planning on pulling the AC, I wouldnt expect to be running any cooler, even with no front bumper cover.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bird is fixed....Ralph Graul came by we got the fans working and all the air bubbles are gone. I'm also not cutting the bumper :wink2: Looked at it more, I don't think it will look right. I still plan on going back to a stock Mark Vlll fan sometime down the road...I'll deal with the noise for now lol Thanks guys

Chris C.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts