TCCoA Forums banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,851 Posts
The only problem is the front bushing set.

It's VERY close to the size of the early Mustang strut rod fronts - there's a few who've talked about Heim joints to go there.

Maybe it's time to make that a reality, or to figure out how to make the early Mustang strut rod bushings fit.

RwP

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I think the solution is poly, the problem of course being that it will take someone with a lathe and experimentation to find a proper durameter of poly to use. Too soft and their will be too much movement, too hard and they will fracture or worse break the strut rod if over tightened due to bind.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Is the "Improved design" acceptable or is it just as bad as the Themroplastic one? Also where would I get the rod to control arm bushing?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Those strut rod bushings are why my car is sitting under my carport rusting away.I am trying to figure out away to either reconfigure the strut rod geometry or come up with a strong lower A arm to replace it.I'm having to learn a lot about steering geometry.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
9,200 Posts
I bought a set of the E9SZ-3A140-B off of eBay and bought the rest of the bushings from Tasca Ford right after you posted up about the 140-B being discontinued. Get going man! :D

Joe

·
Registered
296 Posts
I bought a set of the E9SZ-3A140-B off of eBay and bought the rest of the bushings from Tasca Ford right after you posted up about the 140-B being discontinued. Get going man! :D

Joe
I guess I need to get with it and search harder.Time to squirrel away parts for future repairs.

FWIW I've had blue aftermarket replacements in the LCA side since I've owned my car(9 years) and they're still going strong. The frame side are the critical ones.
Are those the one from Super Performance or whatever the name of that company is that did part strictly for our cars?

Are you guys running poly bushings in the front with stock Ford bushings on the radius rods?

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,490 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine are Moog since they're blue, which any parts store carries. SCP just repackages and charges a premium for the same stuff.

I'm not sure I understand your question? You want to run the OEM bushings on the frame side. Or are you asking about using rubber on one end and poly on the other?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine are Moog since they're blue, which any parts store carries. SCP just repackages and charges a premium for the same stuff.

I'm not sure I understand your question? You want to run the OEM bushings on the frame side. Or are you asking about using rubber on one end and poly on the other?
I messed that one up.My apologies.My question was,"are you running poly bushing on your front LCAs and Ford replacements on the radius rods?"I understand that the frame side bushing are bad to split and everyone runs OE to eliminate that problem.You answered my question about your non frame side bushings being blue Moog which is good,I can find those.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just called North Country Ford in MN. The 140b bushing is discontinued, but still in stock in some places. Sounds like we need to buy now, while we can, or find a viable option.
Really? I just bought a set about two weeks ago from the dealer here. Mentioned that to the parts guy about it being discontinued and he said they weren't :confused:

Apparently the bushings are cheaper here than online! I paid about $30 for all four bushings at the frame side. One bag had two rearward frame bushings in it.

So as long as your ferrules are intact why would anyone consider using the plastic ones?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Really? I just bought a set about two weeks ago from the dealer here. Mentioned that to the parts guy about it being discontinued and he said they weren't :confused:

Apparently the bushings are cheaper here than online! I paid about $30 for all four bushings at the frame side. One bag had two rearward frame bushings in it.

So as long as your ferrules are intact why would anyone consider using the plastic ones?
US dealers have them listed as discontinued and my dealer here says they can't get them.They did call a couple dealers around our area for me, but no dice.That's when I brought my plight to the forum.I can try Canadian dealers but they'll probably cost me out the ass for them.Besides,I have moved on to other projects and moth balled the MN12,maybe for good this time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
US dealers have them listed as discontinued and my dealer here says they can't get them.They did call a couple dealers around our area for me, but no dice.That's when I brought my plight to the forum.I can try Canadian dealers but they'll probably cost me out the ass for them.Besides,I have moved on to other projects and moth balled the MN12,maybe for good this time.
Ironically when the order came in it was shipped from the warehouse in Memphis, TN LOL

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I ordered the frame side bushings from Tasca, but it took me most of a week to nail down the 140-A and 140-B (control arm) parts. I called probably 20 dealers/businesses. A little patience and a dremel paid off and I salvaged one set of the sleeves as well. The inner sleeves are impossible* to find. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I ordered the frame side bushings from Tasca, but it took me most of a week to nail down the 140-A and 140-B (control arm) parts. I called probably 20 dealers/businesses. A little patience and a dremel paid off and I salvaged one set of the sleeves as well. The inner sleeves are impossible* to find. :rolleyes:
Check out the thread I just posted...

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=158586

61 - 80 of 105 Posts