TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I remember reading something about a TSB on the front cover of the 3.8 leaking, but I'm not certain. Was just wondering if there was a TSB and if there was a mileage or time at which it expired. Just noticed the front cover on my 97 Tbird leaking where it meets the oil pan and with 86,000 miles on it was wondering if it would still be covered under the TSB.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
a TSB is just a technical service bulletin. It is different from a recall. A TSB is just a way for Ford (or any other manufacturer) to easily relay vital information on how to repair an issue. They don't expire and they don't give you free repairs.

I just wanted to make sure you were clear on that.

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
There was a recall on this, mine was done under it! :D

I'm sure it's over and done with now! :(

Joe

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
This is a stupid question, but is it a known problem on all 3.8s or just '97s? My '90 is starting to leak a little oil and I think that's where it's coming from (now that it's about to roll over 100k miles, Lord knows the whole thing will self-destruct :D)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Mid 96-All 97's were covered up to 7 years/100k miles, mine is a late 96' and It leaked to the outside so I didn't worry about it.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Nutz, Wish I knew about this last year. I'd have taken my 97 and had it done.

What was involved for the recall fix?

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
I think they just replaced the seal for the front cover with an updated one.

Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah it would have been nice if mine had started leaking last year but it just started so i guess i'll have to get around to fixing it myself one of these days. Well thanks all for info, it is very appreciated.
mike

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had mine done under the recall. Maybe it was good that you guys missed it. This is where that camshaft sensor is in that general area. After they so called fixed it i had that code a year later. Now i have to take care of that, so i guess sometimes it is better if you can fix yourself. All they did on mine was change the gasket add antifreeze and change the oil. Shouldn't they have flushed the cooling system if there was a possibility of contamination.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts