TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I need to replace the front crank oil seal soon since its leaking. Im looking for any advice i can get as far as making the job easier or smoother. Any comments would help. Also if I need any special tools. Thanks, John

·
Super Moderator
11,983 Posts
there is a special tool they make to pull/push on the seal....i did it the ghetto way and placed the timing cover between two 2x8's and used a rubber mallet and a flat blade screwdriver :) although i warn you, it's easier to take it out, than to put the new one back in perfectly straight with that method .....lol

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
You need a hamonic balancer puller....a flat blade screwdriver or 2 sheet metal screws and a crow bar.... there is a process to getting it off that way, ask if you don't know.... and you need a rubber mallet, regular hammer and block of wood to get the new seal in... to bolt the balancer back up.... put rtv in the keyway groove, fit it on loosely, tighten the bolt without the use of power tools, just with a wrench as best you can, when everything is all buttoned up... start the car... turn it off in drive.... put on the e-brake... take a torque wrench and torque the bolt to proper spec.... thats how I would go about it

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not sure if it makes a difference but i have a steeda harmonic balancer on the car, im not sure if that makes it easier or harder but i thought id throw it out there. If you could tell me how to get that off it would be great. Thanks alot guys!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does the timing cover require a gasket also when i put that back on? As far as balancer pullers go would one from sears be sufficient.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
any balancer puller will work.... borrow one from autozone through loan a tool and you'll get your money back when your finished, ALSO timing cover gaskets are re-useable..... BUT if yours look to be in bad shape or swell or shrink, or rip, now is the time to replace them

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
94tbird46 said:
so that seal is actually part of the timing cover?
no, the front seal is serviceable. Just use a seal puller. It is a rubber ring with a circular tension spring. Just yank the crank pulley and pull out the seal, then reverse the process.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Don't forget to RTV the crank keyway when you reinstall the balancer or you are going to have a hell of an oil leak afterwards

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
timb said:
Don't forget to RTV the crank keyway when you reinstall the balancer or you are going to have a hell of an oil leak afterwards
??? When I built mine I didn't use any rtv and it still ain't leaking

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
97qwikcat said:
??? When I built mine I didn't use any rtv and it still ain't leaking
You must be pretty lucky becuase Ford sends them that way from the factory

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Guy I work with said the same thing usually they leak but I got lucky. i might pull it off and put RTV on it now!!!

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
97qwikcat said:
Guy I work with said the same thing usually they leak but I got lucky. i might pull it off and put RTV on it now!!!
If it aint broke don't fix it....remember that crank bolt is one time use unless you replaced it with ARP

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys i picked up everthing i needed and luckely it was i got everything you guys said.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
timb said:
If it aint broke don't fix it....remember that crank bolt is one time use unless you replaced it with ARP
I heard some people say the bolt is one time use and other people say its reusable????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts