TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 Bird has 103,000 miles, just had the upper ball joints replaced, they were shot. It still clunks terribly in front when I hit a bump, it is going back in Saturday AM to replace the tension strut bushings at the front wheels. They are shot too, can see the rubber & rusted washer pieces sticking out. I had the struts replaced at 60,000 miles.

Will this cure the CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK all the time? Man I hope so. Or would anything else be contributing to the racket?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,569 Posts
Check the sway bar endlinks and lower ball joints.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The sway bar end links are famous for clunks. Hard to visually tell they are bad.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Everything is suspect.

I just did the inner tie rod ends and they were shot. It has made an incredible difference.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I would almost gaurentee that it's the endlinks making all the racket. I bought the Raybestos professional grade ones from rock auto and they have held pretty well for the 5+ months they have been in. I only got 2 months out of the 'el cheapo' ones I got prior to that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On my Fox Body Mustang I used to own a while back, which had about 120k on it, I had a terrible rattling clunk every time I hit bumps, even after I replaced everything in the front end. It sounded like the front end was falling apart.

It ended up the center caps had loosened over the years. A little duct tape wrapped around the fingers of the center caps took care it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts