TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I need some help with my front suspension. I have replaced the struts, springs, upper control arms, and the upper strut mounts. At first it rode nicely, but soon after one side started to rattle on bumps, and now both sides do. Its sounds like metal clanking together. Pushing straight down on the front end does nothing, its quiet. Everything should be tight, but i can go over it all again. But is it possible that the new parts are just stressing out the old bushing/parts/etc and something else is clanking? Any thoughts on what it might be? it definitely comes from the suspension and it sounds like something metal banging around against the thin strut tower metal, but it could be anything. Any help would be great , thanks!

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Sway bar links is the cause of the rattle. The rear are probably bad as well if the front is making a noise. They tend to go out quite regularly if you ask me. ;) (front and rear sway bar links)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any thoughts on a good brand, because i know some parts are preferred. Moog, trw, mcquay, or just anything for these? i use mostly trw , just wondering if it actually makes a difference for the links

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I have put MOOG on my two t-birds where they have been replaced and I have no complaints. The OEM front links are shaped differently than the aftermarket. . . .Their shape tends to look like it lessens the stress on the "ball" joint ends of the links. . . . .Just my observations and I am only a mathematician, not an engineer, so I can't say if this is the case for sure. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree with the swaybar link suggestion, but...

You might also want to check the front strut rod bushings. When they fail it can cause creaking and clanking. The front half of the rubber bushing will weaken with age and eventually collapse (split). Moog bushings were known to have a problem with splitting in a very short period of use, but I've read that they changed the design to correct the problem. OEM Ford is still probably the best bet if this is the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ok, mine does pretty much the same thing. Only difference is I've changed everything. The only thing I can think of is my nuts on my strut rods aren't run down enough to squash the new bushings enough. I can't turn them any farther though.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Strut rod bushings

~~Hello

Sometimes the inner washer(anti crush) on the Strut Rod bushings are too long. Just grind it down alittle. Worked for me.

I think I saw it in tech, Not sure.

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts