TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got new lower control arms...and I just got 2 new upper contol arms so I know they are not bad..I just got new motor mounts I know they are not bad...But the noise im getting is when ever im mostly going to take a turn going at a slow speed..it sounds like my upper contol arm is bad But its not..I'm thinking maybe my sway bar bushings are bad or somthing...DO I EVEN HAVE A FRONT STOCK SWAY BAR?? I'm just getting into this tbird stuff so if you got any thing to tell me make sure you put it in newbish terms.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Josh said:
DO I EVEN HAVE A FRONT STOCK SWAY BAR??
you sure do :D Unless you took it out :leftright

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fubarian said:
you sure do :D Unless you took it out :leftright

so is it possible that it is going bad? and if so how can i check it..like what do i need to look for?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
wm_sorg said:
The strut pivot bearings can be bad also. Did you check the rear bushings?

sway bar endlinks and/or their bushings is a good bet.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
GreenBird said:

sway bar endlinks and/or their bushings is a good bet.

you know, that used to drive me ****ing nuts. now, i just find it funny. guess im gettin older!!!

josh: if it's the lower SHOCK bushings you need, where they meet the sway bar, i have a brand new set from ford. i didn't need them, and i couldn't return them. there are 4 total...2 front and 2 rear.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im gonna check them tommorw its dark and it pouring out raning right now..I'm leaving tommorw for PA for about a week...so 93lx if it is the bushing i'll let u know in like a week..if thats okay and maybe we could work somthing out..thanks alot man!!

·
8,239 Posts
anomnity said:
bad ball joints cause noise as well.
he said he just replaced the upper control arms and the lower control arms.

I would look at the endlinks, if it is making a clickety click sound then the rubber bushings are probably blown out, and you need new endlinks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
frame bolts. i replaced the exact same parts for the exact same problem , thigthened the frame bolts and problmem is gone :cool:

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
They swaybar bushings are easy to check, you just look to where the swaybar connects to the front suspension and follow it with a flashlight until you see that cracked and broken ring of rubber that used to be a swaybar bushing (had to throw in a description of my front swaybar bushings). :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Try greasing the tie rod ends before you spend any more cash. I was having a very noticable noise from my drivers front wheel area. Like you, I replaced the rotor, caliper pins, upper control arm, all of the on the lower control arm with pollys from MN12performance but the noise was still there on braking and certain turns. It ended up being a lack of grease in the tie rod end, I changed the fittings to 45deg instead of straight so I can grease them without removing the wheels, which will make it a lot easier. Good luck

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was on vacation. for the last week so today I took it to the shop and they guy said he put a grease fitting on my upper control arm(my new one) didnt change me anything..and it hasnt made any noise yet so its all good now.. Just kinda puzzles me why he had to put a grease fitting on it..becasue it was a brand new upper contol arm ??

·
Registered
204 Posts
I guess anything is possible. All of the upper control arms that I've seen and installed were sealed with no grease fitting. The important thing is, no more noise.
Good luck

·
Registered
200 Posts
The moog's that I'm replacing the stock control arms with have the grease fittings, from what I understand the ford parts didn't.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So is it better if you have grease fittings?? how come they dont put them on all of them?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Ford's idea was to make them sealed, so there would be less maint. However they go bad fast since you can't grease them. So instead of greasing them every 3 or 6 thousand miles, we have to replace them often...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts