TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
also the other day when I was outside the car (my 95) and the wife was backing up and hit the brakes I noticed that the tire moved forward about an inch and a half! I don't mean the trie rotated, but the wheel actually moved forwards as the car was still moving backwards. I drove the car today and there is definatly something loose in the front end when you hit the brakes while in reverse. Anybody got any ideas? TIA.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
lower control arm? on my car the lower control arm connects to the front of the car, when that broke it shoved the tire into the car and exploded it. luckly i was going 20mph. if i was on the highway id be dead. wouldnt want that to go out. i had rubber stoppers on mine, the rod rusted through and when i hit a bump it finally snapped it off. cost me 350$ to fix it myself i replaced both sides, just to be 100% sure

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I would have to say it might could more than possibely be your strut rod bushings(at frame). Ford OE ones are rubber, while Moogs are thermoplastic. The moogs are cheaper, but measure the sleeve that comes with the bushings to make sure it is 2.75 inches..

Also, check the lower control arm to frame bolt, if it is tight, use a pry bar to check the bushing for play. Lots o play equals bad bushing. The bushing can be replaced, they cost about 12$ each, while the complete arm is about 60-65$.

good luck and have fun

joseph

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
I'm willing to bet it's your strut rod bushings...on the control arm side. With the car parked, try to "push" the wheel forward, if it moves then that's it. When doing it, you can see the play in the bushing I'm talking about. Mine's bad right now, I've got the bushing to replace it, I just don't have the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts