TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i'm getting a chirp-like squeek out of the front suspension, it happens when i drive over a bump/dip in the road. any thoughts on what could be causing this, i'm think its time for new ball joints/ control arms, but i don't know too much about suspension, thanx in advance

Steve

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry.........i went out and drove it a bit more, sounds like it's only coming from the passenger side

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
......so, do i need to ones or just need to tighten em, or what?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
scope em out.. if tightening no work.. change em

might also be strut rod bushings

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k, will try, but i don't know what these things look like, lol

·
6,253 Posts
those big bendy looking black bars that start at the LCA and curve towards front of car

the troublesome bushings are fairly large near the frame

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay, now it's starting to do it when i turn aswell, but i'm waiting for my buddy to give my jack back, hopefully it's today

·
Registered
280 Posts
i have the exact same problem, but only on the passenger side while going over a bump/dip and braking at the same time, let me know if you find the exact solution

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k, i will be changing the endlinks tomorrow (thurs), will post results

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i had the wheels off, ready to change the endlinks, but they didn't look bad at all and they still smooth very smoothly so i did not change them, however the strut rod bushings looked like sh!t (bits of rubber falling off), so i will change those this weekend. Are they dificult to change?

·
6,253 Posts
does a bear sh!t in the woods?

snag a friend.. and a breaker bar.. and a lift

and a big efing wrench... those nuts are mean, they don't let go

·
Registered
187 Posts
Two things: end links will look fine and be completely shot. The second is yes, replacing the strut rod bushings means taking apart the entire front suspension and is difficult. And do a search on the moog bushings before you start. They are a bit controvercial(sp?).
Perch

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i'll be putting the endlinks on anyways, cuz i couldn't return them just because i opened the box, BS. So i tried that this morning, but i couldn't get the endlink out, the part that attaches to the spindle was realatively easy but the end that connects to the sway bar was 'frozen' in, and i couldn't get a good swing at it with a hammer, so n e ideas on how to get it out?

·
Registered
187 Posts
A tie rod seperator is very cheap and effective. And it may help to put the other end back in the spindle and put the nut on but dont make it tight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same squeaking with my car in the dips and turns and it wasnt the sway bar endlinks... It was a balljoint.. I found this out doing 85 on the freeway when it let goo... not a fun thing... So if it is the same thing i would say look at the balljoints... As on a ford you can not grease them... Mine was on the passenger side as well... my .02 cents

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
oh damn wannarace... I got a used lower control arm assembly after my accident and the ball joint was bad on it... luckily for me it let go pulling out of my driveway. Thank god the body shop is very credible. They paid the tow truck to come pick it up and replaced it and had it back to me the next day. W00t. I hope you got stopped okay. The only thing that went through my head was.. I was doing 90 down hte interstate just 15 minutes prior....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yea i stopped fine but i was in the fast lane... Wasnt very fun and when the car is scraping like mad and steering being very limited.. was not fun so next time i hear a squeak i know what to change right away!... Not the best way to learn but what you gonna do about it!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i changed the endlinks this weekend, but the squeek continues and it is definitely coming from both sides. So time to change control arm(s), or what?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had squeak in my front driver side since I bought the car two years ago. I've completely rebuilt the suspension, with the exception of the swaybar-to-frame bushings and still have the squeak. I'm going to do those in a few days and see if that cures it. I'll let ya know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts