TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much the whole question up there, what 'specialty' tools (if any) are needed to replace the front hub/wheel bearing?

After replacing my loud/broken mufflers with shiny new quiet ones - I've noticed a wheel bearing on it's way out. Have a new bearing already, just don't want any nasty surprises.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Theoretically.... no.
In reality.... maybe

They should slide right off, but sometimes they can be tight. If they are tight, coat them in PB Blaster and keep working with them. You shouldn't have to get a puller, but you might.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
front Hubs

Hello

Easy!!

Jack up(jack stand)
remove tire.
remove brake caliper
remove rotor
remove nut(36mm)
remove HUB

Reverse to install.

I swaped on 99 Mustang front Hub & Rotor to change to 4 1/2 bolt pattern.

Paul

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I would say a 36 mm socket is a specialty tool.

The nuts are supposedly one time use, I replaced mine when I swapped out hubs.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I probably have the 36mm, just wasn't sure about the puller. The hub on there is original, never replaced - figure it'll be a bugger to get off, but so long as a BFH will do the trick - I'm good.

Thanks for the help gents!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Oh Dear Lord, you should not need a BFH!

Maybe a puller or slide hammer, but not likely I think.

It's a 36 mm spindle nut that self locks via friction which is why it's recommended to change it out too. Don't want it coming off of it's own accord.

There should be no rust in there. Bearings are greased and sealed, cap just keeps the crap out.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Bearings are greased and sealed, cap just keeps the crap out.
Check them closely; The ones I just installed from advanced were not greased at all.

No seals, no grease. :mad:

I used a long needle to get the bearings full, and filled the cup half way up.

I also carried the torque wrench and 36mm socket for a few days, just in case... :)

If you look down into the hub and see bearings, you need to grease them.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CP - BFH is good for everything! It's my most important tool following the angle grinder :D.

Grog - didn't even think about that, will ensure they are greased prior to installation.

Will start work on this in the morning and report back.

Interesting side note, my brother in law, brother, and other brother all have wheel bearing 'failures' right now. What are the odds of all 4 of us having ****ty wheel bearings at the same time? There's an old Cougar (mine), Marquis, Jetta, and Olds' Siloette.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Check them closely; The ones I just installed from advanced were not greased at all.

No seals, no grease.
:mad:

I used a long needle to get the bearings full, and filled the cup half way up.

I also carried the torque wrench and 36mm socket for a few days, just in case... :)

If you look down into the hub and see bearings, you need to grease them.

Wow!
:rolleyes:

Surely there was a seal on the back or spindle side ???

Thanks for the headsup. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Surely there was a seal on the back or spindle side ???
Yeah, that would have made it unusable, pretty much... It's steel on that side.

Looking down into the flange, I could see rollers; the ones I took out had seals, Although the bearings were both by Koyo.

I think I like the ability to maintain the bearings a bit better, personally. I know how much grease is in there. :)

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
While we're on the subject...

Just how many miles should the bearings be good for?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the $70 I paid for mine - it can last for a year and I'm happy.

What an EASY job. I think it's the quickest part I've ever changed. Less than 10 minutes total, from the time I got into the garage 'till the time it rolled out for a road test.

First off, my parts guy gave me the wrong hub, so it took till the morning to get the right one and put it on.

I had bought a 3 jaw puller in preparation for the job, but it wasn't needed - with the lock-nut off, it slid off the spindle. A bit of loc-tite, reused the OEM nut - and threw it back together.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys!

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Axle spindle nuts are a one-time use part and should never be reused.
Yeah, I know - that's what Ford says anyways. Without loc-tite they would rotate back off. My brother found that out the hard way with a rear-wheel-bearing.

So when my rears were done, I used loc-tite on them (about 5 years ago?), NO problems since.

Seems to be standard procedure on this board anyways, to simply re-use them.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Seems to be standard procedure on this board anyways, to simply re-use them.
I do not reuse parts like this; they deform going on, and are ruined by taking them off.

I used new nuts AND red loctite... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts