TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

Aaron and I installed my Koni inserts earlier this evening and the install was quite straight foward. We followed the instructions on MarkVIII.org. To compress the springs, We used the Strut Spring Compressors from Autozone and they worked fine and compressed the springs down very easily. Installing the Koni inserts requires venting the existing shock, which can be kinda dangerous. The fluid in the shock in under quite a bit of pressure and Aaron caught it in the face and made a bit of a mess in the shop. After the shock is vented, the top of the shock, just under the weld seam is to be cut. The bottom of the shock between the lower mount if it has a casting "knob" has to be cut of ground off, so that a flat surface is remaining to tap and drill a hole in the center that is a little over 1/2inch so that the lower mount bolt doesnt catch any of the shock body and crossthread. After that, its all self explanitory, the spring and mount plate is reinstalled and its all good. Aaron caught some video footage of me venting a shock, to show how much pressure the fluid is under. He might be able to get it posted. For those of you contemplating Konis, the front cartridge isnt as hard as it might seem. Since Aarons labor fee was Wendys and a set of rotors, I think I made out quite nicely:D

thanks for reading

joseph

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Yeah, only reason I caught that fluid in the face is cause I had no idea there was liquid in there under that much pressure....you should have been the pioneer on drilling that hole :) Also, the video I took of you drilling the hole in the second shock is 22MB :eek: dunno where I'm gonna host that!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
22mb? Damn it was funny. Can you put it on a cd for me? I gotta keep it on file.

joseph

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Sure, I'll give it to you next time you come over to do your UCA's :tongue:

·
Registered
329 Posts
so are they worth it?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Umm....there is an easier way to vent the shocks...just turn them upside down and compress them....just make sure you do it in a pan because all of the fluid will leak out.

John

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Let me know how you like the Koni's. I'm probably buying a set in about a week. Best option from what I can tell for shocks.

Also, if you want, I can host that video file for you. I have plenty of webspace and bandwith. Just let me know.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dear Great Ob:

I'll second-or-third the question! Whattaya think of 'em?? We're dying to know!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive run the shocks around town today at the minimum setting, mid, and agressive driving settings. They are great, minimal front end pickup on acceleration and minimum brake dive. They ride very nicely, kinda rough over bad pavement with the max setting but, they are performance shocks and you do get what you pay for. They work very well with my Eibachs.

joseph

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
No need to set the Konis anywhere near max. stiffness on the street. Halfway is plenty for the most aggressive street driving. Only time mine see the max. setting or close to it, is when I'm doing open-track events with the car.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
since it's a long weekend.. i may be swaping in a set of konis and Eibachs just to see what they like compared to the H&R's and Tokico Illumia 2's (SC adjustable:) )

on the plus side.. alignment shouldn't be needed, since my car is already droped :D

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
91 XR7 said:

on the plus side.. alignment shouldn't be needed, since my car is already droped :D
Not exactly, unless you mark everything as your take it apart, you'll probably need an alignment.

Would be cool if you didn't, but i'd guess you would.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
well one doesn't have to touch anythign that does the adjusting of the alignment to do the swap.. So..

But i may still get one.. i want something more then 0 degrees camber :)

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fast Ed N said:
No need to set the Konis anywhere near max. stiffness on the street. Halfway is plenty for the most aggressive street driving. Only time mine see the max. setting or close to it, is when I'm doing open-track events with the car.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO
I put it on max to see what the ride was like, well I put it at 1 full turn. I set it back to 1/2 turn before leaving work about 30min. ago.

joseph

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
8ate8 said:
ok, this may sound like a stupid question, but how do you adjust the koni's? the instructions were limited, and i haven't bothered searching yet. just figured i'd ask here first :)
the top of the shock has a flat head screwdriver looking end, you put the big white knob over the fitting and turn counterclockwise to increase damping, clockwise to decrease damping. Its a no brainer.

joseph

·
Registered
987 Posts
Where is the best place to acquire said shocks?

Sam

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got mine from Tirerack.com be forewarned, they are expensive. The rears are 117$ Each and the Front inserts are 136$ each. You might be able to find them other places on the net for a little cheaper, but for the amount of money I had to cough up, I would rather go with a company like Tirerack because I can trust them.

joseph

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
I got mine from Tirerack.com be forewarned, they are expensive. The rears are 117$ Each and the Front inserts are 136$ each. You might be able to find them other places on the net for a little cheaper, but for the amount of money I had to cough up, I would rather go with a company like Tirerack because I can trust them.

joseph
Tirerack is a TAD bit more than shox.com, but shox.com doesn't have the rears in stock right now.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The Great Obucina said:

the top of the shock has a flat head screwdriver looking end, you put the big white knob over the fitting and turn counterclockwise to increase damping, clockwise to decrease damping. Its a no brainer.

joseph
well i knew that much, but is there a stop to it? like all the way to the left is loose and all the way to the right is tight, or does it just keep turning?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts