TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about a month, I'm going to be moving to NY for college (Go RIT!) and since I own my car and have my own insurance, I was going to register the car there. The problem is, my 96 dosen't have a front liscense plate bracket, required in NY. as much as I hate having to desecrate the front of my Thunderbird, I'm going to have to find one of these. Is this something I can get as a OEM part?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I really dont think you can find one that oem unless you go to an dealer or junk yard but if you go to your local auto supply store they will have on for about $15-18 bucks with the screws onlt thing you'll have to do is drill'em!

P.S hope you do well in Colledge!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, really don't want to violate any state laws. I'll probably go swing by Advance auto parts tomorrow to see if they have anything that would fit.

BTW, There's an odd clicking noise coming out of the driver's side rear wheel. Any guesses on what that might be? Didn't feel the need to start another thread

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just had to do this after moving to Hawaii, and I wasn't to happy about making holes in my bumper. There are two small predrilled holes there, all you need to do is get a universal mounting kit at the auto parts store. It has multiple slides to match up any hole location, screw that baby on there and mount your plate. Gives yopu an excuse to repaint it later anyway.

Dave

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I removed the factory front bracket from my '96.
Would you be interested in buying it?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Thunderwoz said:
Nah, really don't want to violate any state laws. I'll probably go swing by Advance auto parts tomorrow to see if they have anything that would fit.

BTW, There's an odd clicking noise coming out of the driver's side rear wheel. Any guesses on what that might be? Didn't feel the need to start another thread
Possibly a loose nut. My buddy had a ticking sound coming from his front passenger wheel on his 04 impala and when I checked it, the nut spun right off.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
before you go tearing your front bumper apart, if i were you i would just leave the car registered in PA. When you go away to college arent you still technically a resident of where you really live? And not only that, but most states give certain time periods for which you can drive around with a car registered elsewhere. And since youll probly be visiting home alot, and going home for the summer, your better off leaving the PA tags.

I had an uncle that moved from CA to NJ and lived here for 2 years before he registered the car in NJ.

i really dont think the cops are gonna hassle you, but thats just coming from another uneducated 18 year old lol.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice, the situation was when I went to college, My uncle was going to transfer his old bronco old bronco over to my name and I would put it on seasonal insurance and keep my Thunderbird in winter storage to keep out the rust. To do this, for whatever reason, my insurace company wanted me to register both in NY. I've decided for now though just to keep the Bronco in my uncle's name and keep the thunderbird registered in PA unmolested. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Congrats on RIT. What program are you taking? I have many friends that went there and spent a lot of time there myself. I lived in the area before going to college and in between college. There are many people there with out of state tags. I wouldnt worry about it. I know a guy that had Colorado plates the whole time and moved out here to CA last Oct and still has the CO plates. As long as your parents can let you know if your recieve anything and stuff you should be fine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shawn40th said:
Congrats on RIT. What program are you taking? I have many friends that went there and spent a lot of time there myself. I lived in the area before going to college and in between college. There are many people there with out of state tags. I wouldnt worry about it. I know a guy that had Colorado plates the whole time and moved out here to CA last Oct and still has the CO plates. As long as your parents can let you know if your recieve anything and stuff you should be fine.
Applied Networking and System Administration. Was going to go the Computer Science route but found out it was very math-oriented, so I chose this instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts