TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sprayed the lower front shock bolt with PB blaster for about 2 weeks.
Well tonight I tried to get them out. They are rusted into the LCA bushing sleeve.
I have now ruined the bolt trying to pound it out.

My questions:
How do I get it out? I've started to deform the shock mount and think I may have to cut it,
Is the bolt and nut a dealer item only?

Edit: found this from Dan. What are the Strut Mounts mentioned here?

Dan Newman said:
Front Strut Bolts $4.87 each (Retail $6.49 each)
Front Strut Mounts $37.95 each (Retail $51.75 each)
Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
They are the mounts on the top of the "coilover shock". You'll just have to change the control arm and shock and get new hardware, I had to do the same thing to one of mine.
Alan

·
Registered
92 Posts
ahh. that brings back memories. 2 days of hammering and cursing. i eventually ended up cutting the shock mount and taking off the lower control arm then pressing the whole bushing out (i had damaged it so badly that it needed to be replaced anyway)

i only found the bolt and nut at the ford dealer. i found other ones that would fit but i think that bolt is hardened steel so i felt very leery about installing something else.

i just bought 2 more from the dealer just in case because im going to be doing some suspension work this weekend so i just happen to have the receipt here with me.

bolt number is N806798S56 2 per pack
nut number is N805476S427 1 per pack

why not 2 per pack on both? i dont know. lets hear it for ford parts logisics engineers.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dirtyd0g said:
They are the mounts on the top of the "coilover shock". You'll just have to change the control arm and shock and get new hardware, I had to do the same thing to one of mine.
Alan
The mounts are the ones with the 3 studs that go into the engine compartment?
Whew, I don't need those then.

My shocks are fine. I'm changing everything else though (LCA, UCA, Strut rod bushings). So I have to get the shock off the old arm to put on the new one.

So I guess it's the dealer for new bolts, and a friend of mine is going to take the shock/LCA to work and cut them apart for me.

Thanks for the part numbers.

Rob

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
girdnerg said:
I sprayed the lower front shock bolt with PB blaster for about 2 weeks.
Well tonight I tried to get them out. They are rusted into the LCA bushing sleeve.
I have now ruined the bolt trying to pound it out.

My questions:
How do I get it out? I've started to deform the shock mount and think I may have to cut it,
Is the bolt and nut a dealer item only?

Edit: found this from Dan. What are the Strut Mounts mentioned here?

Thanks,
Rob
I got mine out with an air impact gun spinning the bolt, and at the same time also hammering it out with an air chisel. Both were set to 120psi. Anything short of that was a total waste of time/energy.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
I ended up cutting the end off mine with a Sawzall and using an 8lb. sledge and a punch to drive mine out. Here is what it looked like after:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done

Well folks I'm done. New PBR dual piston calipers, UCA, LCA, strut rod bushings, and an alignment. I must have done a good job marking things because caster and camber were right on. The weird thing is that the steering wheel got moved so that it looks like you are making a right turn all the time. What makes it weird is that I didn't touch the rack or tie-rods.

I ended up cutting the bolt out. The driver's side came right out.

Thanks for all the help. No more noise or vibration and BOY DOES IT STOP with the PBRs and rear disk swap. If I don't watch it, I'll wear out the front tires(stopping) just as bad as I do the rears(you know this one). :D

Rob

·
Registered
172 Posts
Rob,
Did you really notice that much of an improvement with the brakes? I want to do the same thing with mine (PBR front and rear disc swap), but I'm not sure if that is just a waste of time and money, as opposed to doing the Cobra conversion. Also, have you noticed if the front rotors get as hot as with the stock calipers? I have to machine mine twice a year or else the car just about bounces off the road when I brake, and I am not very hard on my brakes.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
232bird said:
Rob,
Did you really notice that much of an improvement with the brakes? I want to do the same thing with mine (PBR front and rear disc swap), but I'm not sure if that is just a waste of time and money, as opposed to doing the Cobra conversion. Also, have you noticed if the front rotors get as hot as with the stock calipers? I have to machine mine twice a year or else the car just about bounces off the road when I brake, and I am not very hard on my brakes.
Yeah it stops alot better, but I can't compare it to the Cobra brakes as I have never driven one. It sure does do a nose dive when you hit them now :) As far as heat, I didn't get any brake fade while driving it this week-end, And I did test them every chance I got :D

This is a budget upgrade: front loaded pair at autozone = $150 (includes $50 core charge). Rear disc swap = $150 (got the parts for free, but put in new wheel bearings and rebuilt calipers.
4 new rotors = ~$30 each.

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ha - that bolt looks just like the one I beat out of my car recently - actually a guy at a welding shop recommended using an oxy-acetylyne torch on it. Then he told me how much it cost to rent or buy one of those and I went back to the pound it, cut it curse it approach - Tonkabird

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
i must be lucky, i was able to get that bolt out with a ratchet, didnt even need a breaker bar.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
wilson502 said:
i must be lucky, i was able to get that bolt out with a ratchet, didnt even need a breaker bar.
:) Your from cali you shouldnt need anything more than that. The northern states suffer from winter salting which reeks havoc on those lower bolts and bushings.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
when i replaced my LCAs, it didnt take all that much effort to break the balljoint loose from the spindle, just gave it a few good whacks with a hammer, and it knocked it loose. Same for the cam bolt, and strut rod nut. No breaker bars were needed. Although the bushing where the cam bolt goes through, was shot. On the driver side arm u could see some of the rubber actually coming away from the arm.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
My LCA shock bolts became part of the whole assemblie... =P My LCA Strut rod bushings we're also Hell. Im doing Frame Strut rod bushings this weekend. It should be easy to get out, since I did them like 15k ago.. hopefully. =P

1 - 16 of 16 Posts