TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing to replace UCA, lower balljoint and tie-rod on both sides, the UCA and tie rods are no problem but the the lower balljoint. Are the service tools listed in the Shop manaul the only way to remove and press in or is there a cheaper set?

I'm thinking C-clam and a deep well socket for pressing but how to pull out, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Rent the tool. Autozone has them, I believe Pep Boys has them. About $100 I just did mine, and while it took every ounce of strength in me, the tool both pops out the old BJ, and presses it in. We had to use a 4' cheater bar even on the tool to do both. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Just buy new control arms. They come with new ball joints and bushings.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
soundman502 said:
Rent the tool. Autozone has them, I believe Pep Boys has them. About $100 I just did mine, and while it took every ounce of strength in me, the tool both pops out the old BJ, and presses it in. We had to use a 4' cheater bar even on the tool to do both. Good luck!
Name of tool?

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
2,871 Posts
bowez said:
Name of tool?

Ball joint press kit. Looks like a C clamp on steriods. it comes with a bunch of sleeves to fins the proper fit. Its kind of a pain. Honestly like someone said above. Buy the entire lower control arm. I was able to by one lower arm complete with ball joint and bushing for about 78 bucks. the ball joint alone was 40 or 50. The 3 hours you save installing will be worth it. As well i live out west, and there isnt a speck of rust on my car. That said pressing a ball joint in my driveway was troublesome. The only reason i even did it was that i couldnt get the complete arm for that side fast enough.
Good luck! Either way you can do it.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts