TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Voughtland springs and new shocks to a shop this morning along with new shock mounts. They called and said there is a washer that goes between the nut and shock mount and it was not in the kit and they can't assemble everything with out it.

I called a local ford dealer and they are obsolete. Even if they had them it was a kit and was $170. Both the shop & I checked local parts stores to see it someone offered it no one does. Monroe & Gabriel sells a complete shock assembly so I don't see why they don't put one in the shock mount kit. The shop didn't think a flat washer would work.

I really don't want to have to take the old shocks off. I just wanted to be able to remove the old ones and put in the new ones as I'm going to a friends place in a little town with one or two shops and they tend to not do walk in service.

Does anyone know if I can get by with a flat washer or where I can get this special d*** washer?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I installed Vogtlands with Konis on two of my 96 TBirds. I do not clearly recollect exactly how it all went together, but I just looked at on of my cars and I think I see the washer you are referencing. This goes below the large nut that threads down on the top of the shock and the large metal cup that sits on top of the rubber mount? I used a lock washer. However, if you are talking about the metal cup, you must use this. Get one in a junk yard if you have to.

If the metal cups, where are the old ones that should be on the car now? If you have them, reuse them.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the metal cup I'm refering to. I'm planning on doing the work at a friends place so I want to just be able to pull he old shock assembles out ant out the new ones in.

Where he lives is a smalll town and they have two shops that don't take walk ins even though it's just having some spring & shocks assembled. It jsut kills me that you can't get the damn cups aftermarket. Gabriel & Monroe have to be getting them for their Easy Struts they sell. Why not put then with the shock mounts? :mad:

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
The problem is you dont want to ruin the upper mount.

Swapping it out is easy if the shock is already on the car.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
hardened washer

Hi

Get a couple of hardened washers.
swap out the washers on your car. You can remove the upper nut while still on the car. replace with the hardened washers. replace the nut.
EASY!:wiggle:

Take the cupped washers to who is assembling the new shocks.

During the swap the big nut on top is the only one you don't remove!

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Get a couple of hardened washers.
swap out the washers on your car. You can remove the upper nut while still on the car. replace with the hardened washers. replace the nut.
EASY!:wiggle:

Take the cupped washers to who is assembling the new shocks.

During the swap the big nut on top is the only one you don't remove!

:wavey:

Would it be safe to drive with the hardened washer? I'm talking a 100 mile trip to my friends place.

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
Would it be safe to drive with the hardened washer? I'm talking a 100 mile trip to my friends place.
The factory washer is big enough not to go down thru the hole.

If you hit a bump that tops out the suspension, and the rubber doesn't hold, the shock comes apart.

I bought a set from a junkyard. You have to sit on the fender to loosen it up to take it off; sport shocks will come apart when you get up, lol. But not too violently. YMMV, and I'm nuts. :D

·
Super Moderator
17,172 Posts
I bought a set from a junkyard. You have to sit on the fender to loosen it up to take it off; sport shocks will come apart when you get up, lol. But not too violently. YMMV, and I'm nuts. :D
Did the same thing, no coming apart though. I got them from a regular LX standing on the ground in front of the car.

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
I really needed the washers to put together a set of shocks on my sport springs; I was afraid they would pull thru.

Since I put them together with manual tools, I thought the factory washers were a good idea. :thumbsup:

I would not recommend that procedure to anyone; failure is a messy option...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts