TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get the front shocks out once they are free from the car? There is just barely not enough room to sqeeze them out and my Haynes manual has been no help.

Thanks,
-Bryan Miller

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
That's not what he was asking. Disconnect the upper balljoint and swaybar endlink, and you should have plenty of room to take it out.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rich95XR7 said:

So why would there be a space problem once they are out of the car?????
Yes io am having problems gettign them out of the car. Upper ball joint studs seem reluctant to come out of the knuckle as does the end link. Which sidde of the endlink should I undo? Upper is easiest and I have already tried on one side but it was pretty hell bent on staying in the knuckle. Maybe I should just use a BFH?

Thanks for the help guys,
-Miller

·
Registered
237 Posts
Did you leave the bolt in the top of the spindle? I had a horrible time getting that upper ball joint out untill I drove the bolt out of there. Turns out there is a notch in the ball joint stud and the bolt goes into the notch. So the ball joint will not move untill you get that bolt out. I had to use propane and a BFH.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The first time I took mine apart, both of those gave me hell. I found that taking a small prybar, and sticking it in the slot in the spindle where the upper balljoint bolts in, and tapping it in slightly will help it release. I also took the swaybar endlinks off of the spindle, and just like you said, used a BFH, not really, I used a deadblow hammer, soft enough not to damage the bolts, but packs a punch.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Oh yeah, that makes sense. Trying to figure out what people are asking sometimes can be tough.

Yeah take out the bolt for the upper ball joint, and then spread the clamp with a chisel or big flat screwdriver.

Having only the top of the endlink off will allow the spindle to drop far enough to let you get the strut out.

Might take alot of pounding with a BFG, just be careful not to bounce the hammer off into the fender.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The best way I've found to get the upper balljoint detached is to take the nut off, pound a small crescent wrench into the gap on the front of the spindle, put a jack under the lower control arm and lift the whole assembly a bit to take the pressure off, then use a BFH and a prybar to work the bolt out. I just did this yesterday on my 89; I'm in the process of totally replacing the front suspension. Pics and a thread soon.

After disconnecting the upper ball joing, lower the jack and the assembly will drop enough for you muscle the strut assembly out. PM or email me if you've got any questions; like I said, I'm doing the same thing right now.

·
Registered
708 Posts
How bout this:
Leave the ball joint and the endlink alone. I simply freed the shock mount bolts, and used a big fukking prybar to push the lower arm low enough to slide the assemply right out. a bit of persuasion will do it.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Figured it out guys. They came out real easy when I took the clliper and braket off and turned the wheel.

Thanks,
-Miller

1 - 13 of 13 Posts