TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing just the shocks with some KYBs. I'm not replacing any of the other suspension components just yet. Should I be replacing any sort of bushings or other wear items? I see there is whole bunch of stuff to replace with the strut rod but nothing really for just the shock. From the pictures I've found on the site it looks like its just bolted on the bottom end of the shock.

·
Super Moderator
5,117 Posts
Forget Mevotech, it's that cheap Chinee crap.

There's the upper shock mount - which is miscalled a "strut mount" at RockAuto, plus the spring insulators you mention.

I'd do both.

Which, alas, requires pulling the springs completely out.

RwP

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
Forget Mevotech, it's that cheap Chinee crap.
Actually, it's Canadian, and from my experience, the quality is significantly better than Moog as of late.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the moogs were on some type of warehouse clearance at a quarter the normal price so I went with those. It just needs to hold up for a year until I get a chance/cash to rebuild the suspension parts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didn't want to make a new thread so i'll post it here. these are the pieces I have to make my own "quickstrut". Should I need anything else when I get the parts to the suspension shop to put it all together for me? Obviously I also have the front shock as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Springs are waiting for me at home. I'm still curious if there's something else I should get to make sure I have all the things needed before starting the front suspension.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
There's also a large OEM washer that needs to go between the upper mount and the nut. I pulled mine from a junkyard.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's also a large OEM washer that needs to go between the upper mount and the nut. I pulled mine from a junkyard.
thats good to know. all that the shocks came with were the new nut and something i thought only people with weird fetishes used.

That rubber insulator goes between the spring and the top mount correct?

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
thats good to know. all that the shocks came with were the new nut and something i thought only people with weird fetishes used.

That's a bumpstop for the shock. It goes on the shaft under the dust cover.

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts

·
It is nice
885 Posts
I'd use the original shock nut if it's in good shape with the original washer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts